Freeing Stuck Rings?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
May want to be careful with acetone. It will make metal begin to rust very quickly. Almost instantly when I use it on metal after media blasting.
ATF works good, has a bunch of detergents. If you are able to heat it up in one of your wife's most expensive pots and let the piston sit for an hour it works very well. Just watch getting it too hot.

The best solution that I have heard of is Pine sol. But don't leave parts in it over 3 or 4 hours.

Here is the latest update - The 50/50 simple green and water did a surprising ly quick job of removing most of the carbon from the piston. It also didn't take very long... only a hour or two. However, it did tarnish/attack the aluminum.

I am also thinking that the previous kerosene/B12 attempt might have softened up the remaining carbon. Also the remaining carbon wasn't very thick. It is unknown if the Simple Green worked its way under the carbon or if it attacked it from the outside.

the Simple Green is not working nearly as well on the thick carbon in the combustion chamber. It did do a decent job on the squish band and the unplated top of the bore.

20230809_150756.jpg

Here is the latest update - The 50/50 simple green and water did a surprising ly quick job of removing most of the carbon from the piston. It also didn't take very long... only a hour or two. However, it did tarnish/attack the aluminum.

I am also thinking that the previous kerosene/B12 attempt might have softened up the remaining carbon. Also the remaining carbon wasn't very thick. It is unknown if the Simple Green worked its way under the carbon or if it attacked it from the outside.

the Simple Green is not working nearly as well on the thick carbon in the combustion chamber. It did do a decent job on the squish band and the unplated top of the bore.

View attachment 1103721
If you let parts soak too long the simple green will tarnish non ferrous metals. As I mentioned before, 70/30 mix in a heated ultrasonic cleaner works great but you need to run the parts in 15-20 minute cycles. Rinse with fresh water and blow off with compressed air between cleanings. Whatever remains after that can be scraped off.

Back