Freeing Stuck Rings?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SteveSr

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Search didn't turn up anything so here goes...

Does anyone have any good suggestions on how to unstick piston rings? This is assuming that the piston is out of the engine and accessible. Right now I have the combustion chamber soaking in Seafoam just to see if it has any effect on the carbon in the combustion chamber. The piston is currently soaking in a 50/50 mixture of acetone and Seafoam. I am not expecting these to do a whole lot but might be surprised.

Anybody else have any other suggestions? I am wondering if heat from a heat gun or propane torch might soften the sludge and increase the tolerances to improve the process. Also any thoughts on PBlaster? I know that it is made for rusted nuts.

Thanks,
Steve

I use a ultrasonic cleaner with 70/30 water and simple green. That removes like 90% of the carbon, rest I clean manually. For the hard nasty stuff I use a soda blaster.
Now that is an interesting thought. I have a small sonic cleaner. I wouldn't have thought that caustic cleaners like Simple Green would be effective on hard carbon.

Does Simple Green etch the piston? I believe it has lye in it (NaOH), which attacks aluminum...
I’ll have to look into that. 70/30 mix of water to simple green works great in ultrasonic cleaners. I have noticed higher concentrations will tarnish aluminum parts if left in too long. I run parts in mine for 15 minute at a time rinse with fresh water and repeat if needed.

I was successful getting stuck rings (0.024" thin rings) from a BP-1 piston by alternately heating it with a torch and quenching it in Seafoam. The heat gun did not seem to get it hot enough, about 3 cycles with the torch and they began to move.

Mark
Thanks for the data point. At least I know that I have this option but want to exhaust the less invasive ones first.

Anyone ever try a Kerosene/diesel and acetone mix. Is kerosene a pretty good detergent? I seem to remember folks adding a quart to their crankcases before doing an oil change to get rid of some of the oil sludge.

Here is the "before" photo. This was after soaking in acetone/seafoam mix overnight.

As bad as this piston looks the motor ran surprisingly well and had the same compression as a similar CC Stihl engine. It wasn't until I borrowed a long torx bit to remove the muffler that I saw the stuck ring and all of the carbon blow-by. I am begining to think that th e PO used boat oil in this engine.

20230808_123026.jpg

Here is after 24hr soak and sonic tank clean with 50/50 kerosene / Berryman's B12. Althoug it dirtied the cleaning solution it didn't do much to dissolve the carbon, although it may have softened it a bit.

Ring started to loosen a bit and I got a bit too overzealous and broke it. Oh well, another is on the way. It was only .062" x .055" cross-section so pretty small and a small piston radius to try to remove it.

20230809_115616.jpg

Here is after 24hr soak and sonic tank clean with 50/50 kerosene / Berryman's B12. Althoug it dirtied the cleaning solution it didn't do much to dissolve the carbon, although it may have softened it a bit.

Ring started to loosen a bit and I got a bit too overzealous and broke it. Oh well, another is on the way. It was only .062" x .055" cross-section so pretty small and a small piston radius to try to remove it.

View attachment 1103520
Try the 70/30 water and simple green. I’ll generally run pistons for one to three 15 minute cleaning cycles. Rinse with fresh water and blow dry with compressed air after each run.

Back