Help Serviceberry Looks like fall color

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KristinaRisvold

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
This is a repost with photos. No one repled so I am not sure if anyone can help.

I have a serviceberry tree and bush that are about 20' apart in the yard. I planted the tree about 3 years ago and the bush last spring. Up until now all was good with both of them. This spring they both flowered and are producing berries, but about two weeks ago half of the leaves randomly all over started to yellow and now they are turning orange like fall. There are no spots like rust nor black spots like fire blight.

All of the other plants in the location are thriving and healthy.

Just wondering if you know of a common problem with serviceberry.
Since I have the hive between these two I don't want to use chemical controls.

Also for those of you that know Chicago, we did not have a winter this year. I don't think the ground ever froze.

Thanks for your help.

You all are making me really sad

I love my trees and have a redbud as well (it is doing fine). We live on a small city lot so there isn't a lot of room for grand trees. I know a lot of people think of the service berry only as a bush, but we wanted to plant selections that wouldn't get too big but could still play a part in helping the natural habitat, like feeding the birds. Is there some reason my post is being ignored? :msp_confused:Kristina

A distant looksee @ the plant in situ is not enough for a decent internet diagnostic. Amelanchiern is in the Rosacea family. This means you could have some family specific issues. Try posting closeups of the stems and basal portion of the plant where it interfaces with the soil or any abnormalties found. These clues help.

Otherwise google "fireblight" and "apple tree borer" to see if these are a good fit.

Not mites

I did the shake on white paper and squeeze for mites and there were no green smudges on the paper. As well I looked at the leaves with a magnifying glass and only saw a couple of white spots that could be white flies but minimal occurance.

I am watering deeply today since maybe the plants around the tree are absorbing any surface water quickly.

This is a repost with photos. No one repled so I am not sure if anyone can help.

I have a serviceberry tree and bush that are about 20' apart in the yard. I planted the tree about 3 years ago and the bush last spring. Up until now all was good with both of them. This spring they both flowered and are producing berries, but about two weeks ago half of the leaves randomly all over started to yellow and now they are turning orange like fall. There are no spots like rust nor black spots like fire blight.

All of the other plants in the location are thriving and healthy.

Just wondering if you know of a common problem with serviceberry.
Since I have the hive between these two I don't want to use chemical controls.

Also for those of you that know Chicago, we did not have a winter this year. I don't think the ground ever froze.

Thanks for your help.

That first image is definitely not Serviceberry. The leaves and berries look like Chokecherry. I cannot see the smaller shrub well enough to tell what it is.

Doug

Autumn Brillance Serviceberry

I have the tag from the nursery, Amelanchier x grandiflora 'Autumn Brillance'

April was unusually dry so I am soaking the plants...it may be a little too late but possible they show signs of stress earlier than other plants. It could be that all of the perennials were taking up any surface water before it penetrated the root zone of the tree and bush.

OK, I stand corrected. It doesn't look like the Serviceberry that we have locally, but I am not familiar with that particular hybrid. My guess is that the plant has simply started to transition to its Fall colors much earlier than usual as the result of the weird weather.

Doug

April was unusually dry so I am soaking the plants...it may be a little too late but possible they show signs of stress earlier than other plants. It could be that all of the perennials were taking up any surface water before it penetrated the root zone of the tree and bush.

Was this tree potted, or balled and burlapped?

Can you describe the appearance of the root system when you planted it?

What type of soil do you have, and how was the tree planted?

As mentioned a few posts ago, pics of the base of the trunk where it enters the soil, and pics of any trunk, limb, or leaf irregularities would be very helpful in getting an idea of what's going on.

service berry issues

If you look at the ground cover by the plant near the house I notice some strange things going on with the leaf of some of the larger ground plants. I would say sometype of natural or in this case un-natural varigation is going on the leaves, all most like some nutrient or herbicide issue is going on??? You haven't sprayed or appllied any herbicide product?

Maybe the tree is living up to it's name "Autumn Brilliance". Seriously, though, I think it is a reaction to the weird warm winter weather and drought. I think they will come back with watering and time.
I applaud you for your efforts to plant native species, raise bees and refrain from chemical treatments. I too have planted a native plant garden, complete with serviceberries and raise bees. Hope yours recover quickly.

Back