HELP! Too Many Vintage Saws - Which One - Echo, Solo, Jobu, Dolmar, Oleo Mac, Mystery Stihl, Blitz

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
It's possible you are not finding any info on that Alpina P660 because it's a "special" model with about twice the power as the regular P660. :laugh:
It's a homeowner saw in the 60cc class (58.9cc), you can still find it brand new in the original box because it was not a commercial success by any means. It's not something I would call "rare" or even "collectible" by any stretch of imagination.

It's possible you are not finding any info on that Alpina P660 because it's a "special" model with about twice the power as the regular P660. :laugh:
It's a homeowner saw in the 60cc class (58.9cc), you can still find it brand new in the original box because it was not a commercial success by any means. It's not something I would call "rare" or even "collectible" by any stretch of imagination.

Ok, so I can scratch it off the list. What about the rest? I rarely see Jobu's here, so that's what interests me. I like the Alpina and Castor 070's, but they are fairly common and I'm holding out for a 90 or 120 cc model.

Personally I wouldn't touch any of those saws with a 10ft pole, but I am not a collector. :laugh:

Anyway... the Stihl is an early 041AV (non Electronic). Not exactly sought after and €100 is about the right price. Not worth bothering with as a restoration/rebuild but it's worth as a parts saw if not seized and the ignition still works.

The Blitz 400 is the same as the far more widespread Oleomac 240. I see working 240's going for sale for €70 and still not finding a buyer, so it's definetely not something I'd call "rare".

Echo CS60S... I see these going on sale for insane prices and parts going for even more insane prices but is somebody buying? I understand this is one of the first Echo's sold outside of Japan and there may be some historical value in having the original company name (Kyoritsu) stamped on it, but it was manufactured in large numbers well into the 80's so it's not exactly rare.

This morning the medications are making themselves felt even more than usual, but I think we may have already talked about Jobu's. Good saws but little known outside of Scandinavia chiefly due to a very haphazard sales and spares structure. Usually agri or forestry supply companies bought a few and once they were sold it was the end of it because of said haphazard sales structure. My childhood memories are full of ever changing stock in the shops my grandfather frequented.
Anyway, I would consider them only if the are running or at very least ignition, piston and cylinder are sound: spares are very hard to get.

Personally I wouldn't touch any of those saws with a 10ft pole, but I am not a collector. :laugh:

Anyway... the Stihl is an early 041AV (non Electronic). Not exactly sought after and €100 is about the right price. Not worth bothering with as a restoration/rebuild but it's worth as a parts saw if not seized and the ignition still works.

The Blitz 400 is the same as the far more widespread Oleomac 240. I see working 240's going for sale for €70 and still not finding a buyer, so it's definetely not something I'd call "rare".

Echo CS60S... I see these going on sale for insane prices and parts going for even more insane prices but is somebody buying? I understand this is one of the first Echo's sold outside of Japan and there may be some historical value in having the original company name (Kyoritsu) stamped on it, but it was manufactured in large numbers well into the 80's so it's not exactly rare.

This morning the medications are making themselves felt even more than usual, but I think we may have already talked about Jobu's. Good saws but little known outside of Scandinavia chiefly due to a very haphazard sales and spares structure. Usually agri or forestry supply companies bought a few and once they were sold it was the end of it because of said haphazard sales structure. My childhood memories are full of ever changing stock in the shops my grandfather frequented.
Anyway, I would consider them only if the are running or at very least ignition, piston and cylinder are sound: spares are very hard to get.

Good catch on the 041. I don't need a $100 parts saw.

Understood on the Blitz 400/Oleomac 240.

Echo CS 60S still sounds interesting.

Jobu still sounds interesting.

Thanks for the input!

Scott

The P65 & 66 /660 were a poor second to the Prof55 which was up with the best, the Castor saws with a certain model # is usually a badged model Alpina of the same # thereis also some models badged " Bull craft" be aware the spares availability is VERY limited although with patience parts can be sourced on European E bay more so the Italian bay

I bought a "bundle" of of 'Oleo Mac' spares for 25 euro's this comprised of 2 244 f's a Vap 44f & an Oleo Mac with an odd # model I " fiddled" & with a couple of carb kits & a coil from a Super 2 Hommie I have 3 runners good little saws but not at that money I have a complete Alpina Prof 55 that was a runner some time back & I can't be bothered to look into so would be sold as a parts saw if any one is interested

As a US collector that sources saws from fleamarkets, dealers, etc. not eBay or online sources the only one that I would consider a find is the Jobu m5, never see any of that brand. Would not be a high dollar or even mid dollar saw for me, others maybe. I do not buy saws to sell in any way shape or form, actual collector who enjoys saws.

The Alpinas are not rare in the states until they are bigger than 80cc, not common however see at least one 50-70cc Alpina every year. There seem to be quite a few in West Virginia. Not a big dollar collectors saw.

The Echo 60S is pretty common. Running in good condition have seen them sit all season at a fleamarket in the $80.00 range. Typical $40.00 find type of saw.

Solos, have to be over 60cc to get any interest as far as I can tell. Not parts to be had anywhere.

The Dolmar CA, do not see many certainly less than the Alpinas of the same size.

Tons of 041s, not much demand.

The sub 60cc. saws probably safe to say sub 50cc saws are common. Cannot give them away. Might be branded different but unless they are mint most collectors I know of are not very interested.

Electrics, nope, almost never any interest from people I know. Fleamarket fodder unless it is old and scarey, or at least all metal and ungrounded.

I do not know what the exchange rates are however other than than the Jobu and the Solos those prices in US would all be hard sells at markets and such. Probably looking at halving those prices to actually sell. No idea on the Jobu.

I have no Alpinas however the last 70 I saw sold for $80.00ish in fair useable condition with an incomplete spare for parts.

As a US collector that sources saws from fleamarkets, dealers, etc. not eBay or online sources the only one that I would consider a find is the Jobu m5, never see any of that brand. Would not be a high dollar or even mid dollar saw for me, others maybe. I do not buy saws to sell in any way shape or form, actual collector who enjoys saws.

The Alpinas are not rare in the states until they are bigger than 80cc, not common however see at least one 50-70cc Alpina every year. There seem to be quite a few in West Virginia. Not a big dollar collectors saw.

The Echo 60S is pretty common. Running in good condition have seen them sit all season at a fleamarket in the $80.00 range. Typical $40.00 find type of saw.

Solos, have to be over 60cc to get any interest as far as I can tell. Not parts to be had anywhere.

The Dolmar CA, do not see many certainly less than the Alpinas of the same size.

Tons of 041s, not much demand.

The sub 60cc. saws probably safe to say sub 50cc saws are common. Cannot give them away. Might be branded different but unless they are mint most collectors I know of are not very interested.

Electrics, nope, almost never any interest from people I know. Fleamarket fodder unless it is old and scarey, or at least all metal and ungrounded.

I do not know what the exchange rates are however other than than the Jobu and the Solos those prices in US would all be hard sells at markets and such. Probably looking at halving those prices to actually sell. No idea on the Jobu.

I have no Alpinas however the last 70 I saw sold for $80.00ish in fair useable condition with an incomplete spare for parts.

Many thanks for the detailed response. I think you have a pretty good point on the smaller saws; the larger cc saws seem to be much more desirable.

I'm ok with passing on all these saws; I have to stop buying saws and focus on buying parts for the saws that I have.

Thanks again,

Scott

Back