Help...tree dying because of neighbor

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Misty

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello. Ready for some drama? I'm hoping there is something I can do to save this tree.

A couple of years ago... neighbor claimed my elm tree was killing his lawn. Yeah....it wasn't. The tons of rocks and weeds in his yard was killing his lawn.

One day, I discover he has drilled holes into the cervice of my tree and dumped most likely root killer down the hole. I discovered this because I saw a bunch of yellow stuff down the side of it and upon inspection I discover freshly drilled holes and a couple that were started but not finished. They were obviously drill holes. I can provide pics of that for anyone that doesn't believe it. The biggest is about a foot into the tree.

I confronted him and called the police. He denied it. Cops did nothing. I may or may not have threatened him by saying he wouldn't be having a nice day if I ever caught him in my yard and what a great guy he was for trying to cost a single woman thousands of dollars by possibly having to get the tree removed.

I called a tree guy...guy said tree would probably be okay.

Mr. Neighbor From Hell moved.

Well over the last season, small branches grew beneath the drill site so I thought tree would he okay. But today I decided to cut those branches back because they are getting out of control and...well I don't think the tree guy was right.

Is there anything I can do to save the tree? The dark spot in the top middle is where the hole (the big one) was drilled.

Also, the dark bark above the spot where the tree is losing all it's bark is just from me putting water in the hole to clean it out and determine how deep it was. There were all kinds of bugs in there.

Attachments

• IMG_20160915_172130962.jpg
    IMG_20160915_172130962.jpg
    5.1 MB · Views: 98
Problem is that I can't afford to have it removed. It's a HUGE tree. It towers over my 2 story house. I got a quote once and they said nearly $2000 to remove it. That's why I was hoping there was something I could do to save it.

Problem is that I can't afford to have it removed. It's a HUGE tree. It towers over my 2 story house. I got a quote once and they said nearly $2000 to remove it. That's why I was hoping there was something I could do to save it.

It will probably cost you more for the repairs to you house, call a local certified arborist ,
Jeff

It's tough to tell how hazardous the tree is from one pic. However, I would agree, call a local certified arborist to assess it. You may be able to get it pruned that will take some of the risk out of the tree for less money ie spread the pain over a longer period of time.

You can save some money by have the tree removed in the slow periods (January/February). If you keep all the firewood that will reduce the cost. Give us a pic of the whole tree and we can provide better information.

In reality, all the Nasty Neighbor did, was bring to your attention that you have a tree that is prone to splitting in half, and falling on your house. As Jeff stated you have two big trees with included bark. That's where the bark from the two sides gets compressed together and creates a barrier between the two sections. As they grow, they push each other apart. With the included bark they don't grow together. Throw in a rain storm, all the extra weight of the water on the leaves, some wind, and the two sections can/will split apart. What ever he did, he did not create the natural weak spot in the tree, Joe.

Get a few different bids, and ask about options for reducing costs. They may be willing to take it down and leave it, and you can get some friends with chainsaws to cut it and haul it away. You can also cut the trunk and bigger limbs into pieces and post "Free Firewood" on Craigslist, and people will show up and take it.

I will call a different arborist than I did before because it was an arborist that told me the tree would be fine. But as with any profession, I'm sure you have people that don't know what they are talking about and really aren't certified in their field. It was a very healthy tree before he did this and has been there since the house was built in 1967 so I was told by the next door neighbor. Thank you for the suggestions about how to mitigate the costs of having it removed. I'm afraid that's going to be what has to be done eventually anyway.

There may be arborists who don't know what they are talking about, but arboriculture like other professions such as medicine, people have to make interpretations and diagnosis based on signs and symptoms. Even qualified people will interpret those sign and symptoms differently based on experience and personal knowledge. Just look at wide variety of interpretations that happen on this board when someone asks questions and gives some photos.

Back