Help, What's this part called

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Banjoec

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I'm getting ready to repair a Stihl 034AV. This saw was a gift from my Dad, so I'd like to get it running again.
The problem is that the chain derails, or gets jammed. Even when trying to glide it over the bar when the saw is not running. Saw runs fine when the bar and chain are removed.
So what is the part called that drives the chain. and could someone point me in the right direction to purchase one.
Thanks, any help is appreciated.

HiOctane said:
Its called a sprocket.And if your chain runs in a small"ring",thats the rim.Usually the rim,its the only thing you gonna need.

And if you don't have the 'rim' system, you might as well install one. slightly more expensive that the stock type for replacing but lots cheaper for subesequent replacements.

Harry K

WRW said:
If it is derailing and jamming chain, it is probably a different pitch than the chain. They need to be the same pitch. When you purchase one, get the other also.

And get a bar to match, Sprocket/rim, bar and chain must all be the same pitch, the 034 will either take .325 or 3/8 pitch. Personally I prefer 3/8, because that is what all my others are.

Banjoec here is a site you may consider, their prices are very competitive, however I have never purchased from them and someone may like to give you an referral here of their experience with them. Why I mention them is they have a good site and carry lots of parts for lots of manufacturers of different 4 and 2 stroke equipment.

www.mfgsupply.com

Their chainsaw parts are at www.chainsawparts.com

The nice thing about them is they also sell carb kits, fuel and air filters for your lawn mower/tractor, chainsaw, trimmer etc etc.
Their carb kits are half what I have to pay locally, but with a large order you should make up the shipping costs.

For a good manual on chain saws try www.oregon.com l. They have a "Safety and Maintenance Manual" on line and will send you one in hard copy at their expense if you email; [email protected] The sprocket is explained around page 81, or at least it it was in the older manual of a couple of years ago.

There is a manual on chainsaw repair have a look at http://www.themotorbookstore.com/chainsawserm.html
It covers some 034 models.

One rule is after two chains are finished on a saw there is a good chance the sproket is finished.

Completely understand why you need to keep the saw running well. :eek:)

Good luck with the repairs.

Thanks everyone for your help.
This happened with a chain that was running well for a while. Also trid with another chain, and same result.
I'm going to check out the MFGsupply site.

Back