Replacing bar/chain on ms261cm…need help from the pros!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mcclain210

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Okay guys…I currently have a 16” rollomatic es bar and .325 chain on my saw. I want to switch over to the light 04 bar. What exact bar and chain comes on these new 261cms? Excuse my ignorance but im not too familiar with the “light” bar and chain line yet and dont know exactly what guage “light bar” or rm3 pro chain to get and if my oem drive sprocket will need changed or not. ALSO, are these light 04 bars better than the es light bars in 16”? Or is the main benefit just the narrow kerf of them? Thanks for any help! Much appreciated.

If the drive link count, pitch, and gauge are the same you won't have to change anything. What drive link count/pitch/gauge are you wanting on your new bar?

If the drive link count, pitch, and gauge are the same you won't have to change anything. What drive link count/pitch/gauge are you wanting on your new bar?
I know that the light 04 bar is only .050 guage. I cant find part number for 16” bar and i cant find the “rs pro” chain anywhere to buy or find the 16” length.

https://www.stihlusa.com/products/chain-saws/guide-bars/light04/
On the Stihl website they list it as being available in .050 and .063
Are you running .063 currently? If so, that should be a 67 drive link chain, which is what I use on my saw that runs 16" .325, and the part number for the Rapid Super chain loop for it is 3639 005 0067
That should be a 26RS 67

I know that the light 04 bar is only .050 guage. I cant find part number for 16” bar and i cant find the “rs pro” chain anywhere to buy or find the 16” length.
The 23rspro is code 3690. The earlier rs in .325, 0.050 (23) has been replaced in dealer inventory. the prior had necked down drive links and used the same splice components as the .058 and .063 gauges. Any dealer that makes chain loops most likely has the new .325 chain. They might not know don't use the previous splice components I found out. I was at a Stihl dealership and held some of the new .325 bars but they were in cardboard packaging. Stihl last year of so seemed to introduce this new NK type of .325 in husky drive link counts. 66, 72, 78 I have a feeling the Stihl dl count is a bit different.

"rm3 pro chain" The 3 in this placement means bumper drive link which reduces kick back tendency and may reduce vibration. The 3690 code product does not have these kind of drive links. Probably more .325 product will come along using the non necked down drive links that may or may not have the "3 designation.

I saw 23RSPro (full chisel narrow kerf .325) locally a couple of years ago when I didn't have a saw that used .325, but can't find it now that I need some. Apparently its still not listed in Stihl's US catalog. I gave up and got some Husky SP33G X-cut narrow kerf instead.

Does Stihl even make a es light in 16? If they do, I’d doubt it worth the cost for the minimal weight savings on the 16. I’m running a Oregon pro lite 16 on my ported 261 with a 8 pin but it was cheap at the time on Amazon. Unlike the comment above I wouldn’t run an 8 pin even with the 16 unless it’s ported or you only cut softwood.

Does Stihl even make a es light in 16? If they do, I’d doubt it worth the cost for the minimal weight savings on the 16. I’m running a Oregon pro lite 16 on my ported 261 with a 8 pin but it was cheap at the time on Amazon. Unlike the comment above I wouldn’t run an 8 pin even with the 16 unless it’s ported or you only cut softwood.

I am in the same camp, I personally don't see much point in putting a light 16" bar on, since they are already so light anyway, and balance well on a saw that size, but to each their own.
I also would stick with a 7 tooth sprocket, it is almost perfect on a saw that size, although I have gradually been switching mine over to 16" 3/8" instead of .325.

Latest posts

Back