Help with 021 idle issues

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Byrdmando

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
A friend has been sending me messages as he is working on this saw.

Saw came to him and would not idle. It would start on choke but would not idle. He pulled carb (twice) and cleaned out real well. He also found a cracked fuel line which he replaced. He told me he had a bear of a time getting it to run but finally got the carb adjusted and able to idle...but only on its side.

He told me it would run great when it was full and on its side?????

He never mentioned the impulse line or anything but I wouldnt imagine he would miss that.

Does anybody have any ideas? Searching the forum I see that when a saw WONT idle on its side...crank seals may be the culprit, but what about if it only idles on its side?

Any help would be appreciated.

Byrdmando
Coleman Falls, Va.

Tank vent and impulse line would be the first two things I'd check. Then it's on to a carb rebuild, but I'd probably just replace it since it's only $28 for the carb.

I'd be interested to see what vac/pres test results show. If he's got a bad crank seal, putting the saw on it's side may cause some liquid fuel to 'seal up' whatever pin hole might be present in a crank seal. When up right, any liquid fuel would run off and expose the leak again.

So I would say a vac/pres test would be my next step.

Does he notice a difference w/ a full tank vs. half or less? And +1 on the carb too, they aren't worth fooling with at what you can buy the fully adjustable (don't remember model number) carb for vs. the fixed jet MS210 carb. I have heard those saws (021, 023, 025) are hard on seals, but cant attest to that. I have only had my hands on a few of them, none with air leaks- mostly fuel/ tuning related problems.

Back