Help with a 361

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bbcmudtruck

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I just got myself a 361 and I would like to put the newer style clutch cover on it, like my 261 with the captive bar nuts. Will a 362 cover fit or are they to different from each other? Also, I've searched alot on here for pictures of muffler mods, but most of the pictures don't show up for me. Is there a dual port muffler available for the 361 or is everyone just porting the stock one? How big are you guys opening up the mufflers? Pictures and ideas are welcome and appreciated!

Are you sure there are not hex areas for bolts already? There are on mine. You may have to drill the holes out.
There was an excellent thread on modding this muffler a couple years ago. I'll take a look.
I've never modded the muffler on mine and am very pleased with the cutting speed.

No there isn't any holes or even places where holes should be for the outside dog. My buddies 361 has holes on the outside cover on his, but mine does not. Thanks for the help, as mentioned hardly any of the older threads will pull up for me and pretty much none of the pictures will.

I think the thread was from 2009, and the member that did the write up on the muffler mod was Lakeside57 (?) I may have the name partially wrong, but that mod is commonly referred to as the "lakeside mod". It includes adding a second port to the muffler, with the factory muffler screen from a Stihl blower, without taking the muffler apart. Pretty cool thread with pictures, full descriptions, and part numbers. I think I emailed that thread to a friend a while back. If you can't find it here, I may be able to forward it to you.

The cover with captured nuts that fits the 261 is the same as the new one for the 362. It will fit the 361 too. Neither have the holes for the double dogs. They run a cover with captured nuts on a 661, but I have no clue if it'll fit a 361. It's too new of a saw and I haven't had a chance to play with one yet.

The captive nuts are just annoying anyway, both on Stihl and Husky saws, so swapping the other way makes more sense.....

Well I like the captured nuts, so thank you guys for the helpful info! I acatualy have a 261, so I'll go see if the cover fits. I just assumed it would not. Feel kinda dumb now. Also, the 261 doesn't have holes for the dogs on the outside cover, however there are recessed provisions for them. If you look at the cover, you'll see exactly where the holes go. Plus on the inside cover, the holes for the bolt heads are the same size as the bolt heads. That make any sense? Probably not, I'll just snap a picture of mine for you. I'm just going to open the muffler up on the 361 i guess. Thanks for the help!

Back