Help with Half-dead Honeylocusts

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dgunnell

Reaction score
Two years ago we bought 4 large honeylocusts for instant shade in our yard which were planted by a landscaper. He guaranteed them for one year. After the first year there were a few dead branches which he said was normal - overall the trees seemed fine. I trimmed those dead branches off. This spring (2 years since transplant) half of the branches are dead (see pictures attached). We cannot afford to replace the trees (they were expensive) and the branches that are alive seem healthy so we would like to try to salvage the trees if that is possible.

I think that if I cut back the dead branches that over time we might be able to have the trees turn out ok, but I do not know if cutting off the dead stuff might somehow be doing more harm than good. If the trees are a lost cause I would prefer to save the time and heartache and chop them down now.

I am also wondering what might be the cause? They are set up on a drip system (too much or too little water?), we live in Utah and haven't been watering during the winter because of the freeze. There are lots of pretty honeylocusts in the area so I assume that we should be able to have success.

Thanks,

Danny

Last edited:
Two years ago we bought 4 large honeylocusts for instant shade in our yard which were planted by a landscaper. He guaranteed them for one year. After the first year there were a few dead branches which he said was normal - overall the trees seemed fine. I trimmed those dead branches off. This spring (2 years since transplant) half of the branches are dead (see pictures attached). We cannot afford to replace the trees (they were expensive) and the branches that are alive seem healthy so we would like to try to salvage the trees if that is possible.

I think that if I cut back the dead branches that over time we might be able to have the trees turn out ok, but I do not know if cutting off the dead stuff might somehow be doing more harm than good. If the trees are a lost cause I would prefer to save the time and heartache and chop them down now.

I am also wondering what might be the cause? They are set up on a drip system (too much or too little water?), we live in Utah and haven't been watering during the winter because of the freeze. There are lots of pretty honeylocusts in the area so I assume that we should be able to have success.

Thanks,

Danny

have to see the root zone, there maybe problems there and with the soil and it looks like a lot of cold ass wind was beating on them which hurts.

Could be a number of things. Root damage and or soil contamination would be the first place I'd look. Where trees planted at proper depth? What is being sprayed on patio or sand areas to control weeds or moss. Is that a pool under the tarp & do the trees have any access to pool water? Won't hurt to prune out deadwood.

You lost 2 years growth on a 50 year tree

Cut back all the dead wood now to live tissue, monitor soil moisture during the summer(use your finger, don't guess)
You have plenty of years left to get some new growth. Pay an arborist or nurseryman(someone who grows trees), not a landscaper, to give them a starting structural pruning.

Are the branches dead or have they been stripped of leaves? I have seen caterpillars do a number on locust trees.

Back