Help with owb install

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kzack

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I currently have an oil boiler and my owb is made by a local manufacturer and will be delivered any day now. I've had a plumbing/heating contractor out for an estimate on the connections to the oil boiler, but getting him out to actually do the work is proving quite difficult. The connections at the owb end will be done by the manufacturer. I'm considering doing the connections to the oil boiler myself. I've read this thread ( http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=76966&highlight=heat+exchanger+install )and have been in contact with scootermsp (thanks), and looking for further advice.

I have a 1" feed and return line for heat and a 3/4" feed and return line for hot water as the owb has a domestic coil. The owb has two pumps.

Ideally I'd like to not have pumps circulating continuously. I'd only like them to come on when a zone calls for heat. I'm okay with having to wait for the water to circulate to get heat, but I don't want the oil boiler to kick on. Also unsure about the connection to the electric hot wate tank.

Any advice or help is greatly appreciated. If further deatails are required, please ask and I will reply.

warm regards, keith zack

I used a 50 plate heat exchanger on my oil fired boiler. It uses a taco 009 pump to circulate the water through the heat exchanger. The pump is on all the time. You need to have the water flow in oposite directions through the heat exchanger. At the OWB there is a taco 007 that is also on all the time. The temp in my oil boiler is steady at 180F. You may be able to find install schematics at some of the OWB websites. I am preatty sure Central has them. My OWB has no domestic hot water coil so no help there. This is no small job. It will require special tools and a good knowledge of how these systems operate. good luck!

Switch around pumps?

I used a 50 plate heat exchanger on my oil fired boiler. It uses a taco 009 pump to circulate the water through the heat exchanger. The pump is on all the time. You need to have the water flow in oposite directions through the heat exchanger. At the OWB there is a taco 007 that is also on all the time. The temp in my oil boiler is steady at 180F. You may be able to find install schematics at some of the OWB websites. I am preatty sure Central has them. My OWB has no domestic hot water coil so no help there. This is no small job. It will require special tools and a good knowledge of how these systems operate. good luck!

My CB dealer had me put the Taco 009 on the OWB (65' from house, about level) and the 007 on the wrap-around. My pumps are always on too...I would guess about $12-15 per month for electricity.

I would have the pumps run continuously... for the first reason.. protection from freezing... secondly... starting and stopping a pump will shorten its life.

Last edited:
Back