Help with tree id

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peacock

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I've got 3 here I can't positively identify. The first is tree at the front of the property where we will be building. It is long dead and I will be taking it down this spring. It measures 15.5ft circumference. Gonna be a workout for the 441!

The 2nd and 3rd posts will be of other trees from the property. The last of which is harder to split than hedge and just as heavy.

Let's let PA Plumber guess first so that we know what they aren't!:hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

J/K!!

Allright...
1 - I don't think I have ever seen one of those. Is it in the Gum Family??
2 - Red Cedar?
3 - Red Oak?

Note: I did not use any references for this ID. I used the incredible vast resource of my very limited exposure to those tall thingys that have lots of leaves and bark and stuff.

Last edited:
Hahaha....:ices_rofl:

My guess is that the first is a black gum. I've never heard of them getting that large though.

I don't know about the others though. The first is pretty light in weight and cut like butter. The 2nd is like iron. It cuts like iron and my 15lb maul bounces off of rounds as small as 8"!

Hahaha....:ices_rofl:

My guess is that the first is a black gum. I've never heard of them getting that large though.

I don't know about the others though. The first is pretty light in weight and cut like butter. The 2nd is like iron. It cuts like iron and my 15lb maul bounces off of rounds as small as 8"!

We have a Black Gum tree as a "survey tree that is over 150 years old. It is huge but doesn't have all the low branching the one in the picture does. Bark looks the same though. If there were no other trees around, I guess they could look like that. The second picture looks like the pine family to me. I was going to guess white pine first, but the wood is too dark. That's why I went with cedar. Last, Red Oak or Hickory could be heavy and hard to split. The picture looks like our Red Oaks at our "farm." We have Shagbark and Pignut Hickory and neither of those have bark like that.

The last one could it be Mulberry? It is pretty heavy and splits like crap especially when not frozen and green. It is usually pretty stringy. I have split a quite a bit by hand and it is a chore. The color looks a lot like the black locust trees I cut this spring but the bark is not right.

I am not expert but will at least fuel the discussion.

Don

The tree had its apical meristem removed or damaged while it was a juvinile. With the growth hormone auxin removed the buds below the damage expressed creating that particular branch structure.

Not tryin to sound smart, just sayin that the tree could be better identified by its bark, cross-section and environmental setting than by form.

The tree had its apical meristem removed or damaged while it was a juvinile. With the growth hormone auxin removed the buds below the damage expressed creating that particular branch structure.

Not tryin to sound smart, just sayin that the tree could be better identified by its bark, cross-section and environmental setting than by form.

You are referring to 1

If the first one is ash, then what species? I've cut lots of white ash on the property and is vastly different in texture. I guess it could be cottonwood, but the pattern of the bark is much different from the others on the property.

I would never guess the 2nd to be oak. Too light and cut too easily.

The 3rd could be a kind of hickory, don't know. Different texture than any pignut that I've cut in the past. It is freaking hard as hedge though.

If the first one is ash, then what species? I've cut lots of white ash on the property and is vastly different in texture. I guess it could be cottonwood, but the pattern of the bark is much different from the others on the property.

I would never guess the 2nd to be oak. Too light and cut too easily.

The 3rd could be a kind of hickory, don't know. Different texture than any pignut that I've cut in the past. It is freaking hard as hedge though.

Believe it or not, I was going to guess the first two as Ash and White Oak, respectively. The first tree really looked goofy for Ash, and the weight on the 2nd made me guess Cedar. The last is close to Mockernut Hickory but the Red lines caused me to go with Oak. I do have a National Audubon Society Field Guide to Trees, but I hate to consult it on the guesses. A lot more fun for all involved. (At my expense of course!)

Back