Help?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Get nice trifold pamphlete made up and mail it to specific zipcodes with the demographics you want to work with.

maybe enquire with some building inspection type people to see if you can tie in to their work

Do you have the valuation guide (The Guide)? Tree valuation would fit in well with this.

Slope stabilization in after burn areas? Planting is not a curall, but it does help long term.

Utilization of native understory plants......

Zerescaping, cistern placement,

What else can be done besides fuel reductinon removal and raising of crowns?

Direct mailing of proffesional looking marketing material that addresses bot prevention and remidiation sounds like a very good palce to start.

No, it's have BK do some art for your t-shirt and have us print up 108 of them for you!

Just send some pics of your truck and crew and tell us what you want them doing.

...make it a load transfer speedline over a house and pool...

Down to Earth,

Your sentiments about knocking down a tree sitter are pretty lame. Even if it is a joke, that's out of line. You come here asking for help working out a business plan instead of doing the work yourself and then make crass jokes.

If you didn't even think about remediation, what did you learn when you got your MS? Sounds like you bought into the "Big Timber" plan of clear cutting and leave method of land management. Instead of learning that there is actually and end to the timber supply and the need to really manage for a real sustainability, "Big Timber" just feeds at the trough like pigs. The National Forests belong to everyone, not just "Big Timber".

Remember, Hayduke Lives!

Tom

Now for my apology...sorry about not seeing your tongue in your cheek :)

I do have some knowledge about silviculture and forest practices. That said, I don't agree that plantation growing is the best solution. Like too many issues, this is too complex for this forum. I do like to have lumber available and I understand that currently the cheapest way to produce lumber and fiber is by plantation growing. That comes at a cost though. Using the land is not just for the benefit of the trees. What about all of the other organisms that are affected? And I'm not even thinkging of the animals. What about species diversity? Soil organisms? Water quality?

The easiest solution to this and many other environmental problems is the follow the first two R's with as much support as the last, Reduce, Reuse, Recycle. Recycleing is the warm fuzzy but if we didn't buiy as much stuff and refused to "make do" we wouldn't have as much waste. Look at all of the trash out for the garbage every week.

Off of my soapbox and back to the trees.

Tom

Tom-

You have a very stereotypical view of forestry and timber production.

For example, check out the definition of a clearcut in a silviculture text book sometime. If you cut and run, it is not a clearcut - it is a cut-cut (REMOVAL) like arbos do daily. A clearcut is a method of harvesting over a PERPETUAL series of rotations and clearcuts are great for wildlife. Windrows, edge effect, etc. The list of benefits goes on.

Arboricultural or "individual" management practices have no place in timber production.

M.U.S.Y.

Multiple Use Sustained Yeild

Latest posts

Back