Hemlock vs. Cedar

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TJ-Bill

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
How does Hemlock compare to Cedar? I'm building a horse shelter this weekend and was debating on which to use. Hemlock is cheaper.

Thanks

Hemlock is a lot stronger, more solid wood.

Decay resistance is very good, up there with white cedar, maybe not quite as good as redwood though. Also much tougher than cedar when the horeses get rubbing chewing and kicking at it.

Hemlock can have twisty spiraled grain and is not as stable as cedar. Likely stable enough for a stable though.

Great thanks..

exactly what I was lookign for. This has ended up as a cheap little $100 project to a minor undertaking. Looks like I'll be driving 1/2 hr tomorrow to pick up 1000' of rough cut Hemlock!

thanks again

Bring a pair of gloves, rough hemlock will give you hand full of splinters.

I made up some hemlock beams for a hay waggen, worked pretty well.

Back in the old day I think hemloc was top pick for barn floors, one of the few woods that would stand up to the conditions.

Also used as decking in the beds of trucks and trailers.

I realize this probably won't weigh much with your decision as economics generally are the determining factor....however, the fact that hemlock is noted so strongly for splintering, would pose a concern for me with my horses.

I would prefer a material that did not splinter as badly. Horses will rub and chew and this could cause serious injury. We made a shelter out of cottonwood, Populus trichocarpa, specifically due to its properties of not splintering.

You may have already thought of this, but put the wood vertically as opposed to horizontally. That way when they do rub it will be crossgrain as opposed to with the grain; less potential for splintering. Mind the corners and possibly face them with a less splintering product for the vertical neck rubbing. And watch your edges so exposed surfaces do not pose an invitation to chew.

I have one horse who will leave everything alone and another that chews anything in sight...just have to figure out the individual.

Have fun this weekend.

Sylvia

Last edited:
I realize this probably won't weigh much with your decision as economics generally are the determining factor....however, the fact that hemlock is noted so strongly for splintering, would pose a concern for me with my horses.

I would prefer a material that did not splinter as badly. Horses will rub and chew and this could cause serious injury. We made a shelter out of cottonwood, Populus trichocarpa, specifically due to its properties of not splintering.

You may have already thought of this, but put the wood vertically as opposed to horizontally. That way when they do rub it will be crossgrain as opposed to with the grain; less potential for splintering. Mind the corners and possibly face them with a less splintering product for the vertical neck rubbing. And watch your edges so exposed surfaces do not pose an invitation to chew.

I have one horse who will leave everything alone and another that chews anything in sight...just have to figure out the individual.

Have fun this weekend.
Sylvia

Thanks

Good points.

The Hemlock is mostly to finish the outside to the shelter, it'll in the paddock flush with the fence so they won't have acces to the sides. After thinking about it they will obviously have access to the wood from the inside. Our horses are like like little beavers this maybe a problem..

I'll have to think about this. Might have to plywood the inside or something

Thanks

Bill

I lined my 5 stall horse barn with hemlock a few years ago. One tase of that Hemlock and they won't chew it again.

I picked up the Hemlock on Monday, started building yesterday. I managed to get the structure up and roof on but that was it before dark. I planned out the sides well but forgot about the roof so I just winged it. I'll post some pic after I'm done.

Thanks

Bill

Back