Here comes winter....Finally

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ske-bum

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Well here comes winter with a fury, finally. It has been too nice for too long here in Tahoe, winter storm is coming in tonight. Forecast gust to 70 in the basin, 140 over the mountain tops, with snow. Really cold temps to follow storm, lows near 0 after the storm passes. Man, we need it. Wood is stacked high, gas for the snow blower and generator is stored, plenty of booze if need also. I'm ready.

I love a good mountain storm, always have. Guess this makes me a little strange, oh well.

I know you guys on the east coast are saying oh, big deal it has been winter for a while out here, well it looks like the west coasts turn. Portland is forecasting 45mph winds with snow, Seattle is forecasting snow and wind also, with cold temps after the storm. Hope everyone is ready. Pray for snow.:)

You can pray all you want here for snow, it rarely happens here in TN anymore. The old timers talk about four feet of snow, but I havent seen any more than four inches since we lived here.
Lived most of my life in the Pacific Northwest, and remember the snow storms we used to get there.I would give a lot to live back there again.

Lucky

You can pray all you want here for snow, it rarely happens here in TN anymore. The old timers talk about four feet of snow, but I havent seen any more than four inches since we lived here.
Lived most of my life in the Pacific Northwest, and remember the snow storms we used to get there.I would give a lot to live back there again.

All were getting is a nasty rain snow mix thats just making a mess of everything.

All were getting is a nasty rain snow mix thats just making a mess of everything.

Same here Hutch. Power went out about 4.30 this morning and was out for ten hours or so, but it's back on now. I have a generator on hand for extended outages but it wasn't really necessary to fire it up today. Just got done plowing out the drive. We got about 4" of wet heavy slush and I didn't want it to freeze solid. The storm has moved off to the East and things have pretty much returned to normal around here.

Maplemeister: :chainsaw: :popcorn:

Down here in Ct, Cl&P had 2 customers out last night, 6:00 PM - This morning, it was up to 13,000 & climbed to 16,000 after the wind came up. Back down to 9,000 last time I looked. We got ice & I'm glad I retired. :cheers:

let it snow

not bad here. 24f 1.5" of snow and still falling. Cut down the Christmas tree today about to decorate it with the wife and boys. 76F inside with the insert going and nursing a Guiness. Should have the 181 running tomorrow, Good times.:cheers:

Weatherman says hang on, get the feed to the critters. Posed to be a high of -1 on Sun here, not a big deal usually, except that it has been so nice so far. It doesnt look like a ton of snow, jujujujssst ccccccoolllddd. MORE WOOD!!!:cheers:

Hey Ske-bum, I'm just over the pass from you. Spent the day getting ready for the storm- blew the water out of the irrigation pipes, tarped the wood stacks, fired up the snow blower and moved it into the garage, cleaned up the driveway and walkways so I don't suck up another toy into the snow blower, new wipers and winter washer fluid in the car and truck, brought wood in the house, fired up the generator, new batteries in the flashlights....
I'm ready for a weekend stuck inside with plenty of beer :cheers:
Dok

All ready for the sub-zeros here. I wandered out to the porch to check the 2 1/2 cords. Yep still there but the 'good' wood (ash, maple, etc) is scattered through the ricks but behind the first one. Guess I will be busy packing that light willow to keep the stove up to temp.

Harry K

Hey Ske-bum, I'm just over the pass from you. Spent the day getting ready for the storm- blew the water out of the irrigation pipes, tarped the wood stacks, fired up the snow blower and moved it into the garage, cleaned up the driveway and walkways so I don't suck up another toy into the snow blower, new wipers and winter washer fluid in the car and truck, brought wood in the house, fired up the generator, new batteries in the flashlights....
I'm ready for a weekend stuck inside with plenty of beer :cheers:
Dok

A lot of that going on up here also. Not as windy as expected and just around a inch of snow at lake level. Cold though, I'm guessing 20ish F right now.

The next storm looks like it has the snow. It should be here tommorrow.

I'm still waiting for this storm to get here , so far it's been a total letdown:(

Be carefull what you guys wish for. Here in Kalkaska Michigan which is in the snow belt we have over 2 feet of snow and we just are not getting a break. You get the driveway plowed and everything cleaned up and then you have to start over. I have to clear my pad off in the next few days because my Central Boiler has arrived. Yeah!:clap:

I'm still waiting for this storm to get here , so far it's been a total letdown:(

Must have passed you to the north. It has been going here (SE WA) since 7 a.m. Temps dropped from near 30 to the mid teens in about 1 hour at 3 p.m. Estimate 5" of snow here (lots more to the north) but with the wind I have seen a whole bunch going by the patio window. Gonna have to break out the snowblower in the morning.

Harry K

Dok,
So how you doing on the other side of the mountain?? It is dumping snow in Tahoe City, has been snowing since yesterday morning, roads look interesting to say the least.

Not suppose to stop until late tonight. House is warm, fire place has been going non-stop.

Well, here in caro mi. it is apx 11 degrees and expecting 5 degrees . I have the old firechief furnace going and it is a very cozy 74 inside and watching a good Christmas movie....doesn't get any better than this... :popcorn: :givebeer:

Sounds like the first real snow is supposed to hit nw ohio tonight. Only 2-4 inches but it's the most so far this winter. I just wish the ground was frozen a bit more before we get a blanket. Probably only have a couple inches of frost in the ground right now and this will pull it right out.

It has been raining since yesterday @ 2pm and has yet to stop. I will see if I can make it to work today. Flagstaff area is suppose to get @ 2 feet of snow. In my area we suppose to have snow above 4500 ft:(

Latest posts

Back