Heres a good one.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Abbershay

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
What is your biggest tip from a tree job?

I got a $100.00 tip on a $900.00 job... thats my best one...:)

On one job the customer passed out $20 tips as we were setting up the crane to get started.

THATS the smartest way to tip! We would have done a good job anyway, that 'pre-tip' only gave us more incentive to do even better!

Originally posted by RockyJSquirrel
Dumpy, low-dollar housing, never woulda imagined.

I always get better tips from less than wealthy people. I guess they understand how hard it is to earn a buck through manual labor.

Originally posted by RockyJSquirrel
I'd have to guess that the $660 job was pitifully underbid.

Actually the job was not underbid. My customers were an elderly couple. He had just become wheelchair bound and his wife had just had a good portion of her mouth removed due to cancer. Maybe I got the big tip because I didn't wince when I looked at and spoke to the wife. Also when I talked to the husband I kneeled down so we could speak face to face. I treated them like family. They are very nice people. Not only did I get a nice tip, but I got referrals to do work for four of their neighbors.

Yesterday while doing a multiple removal job for a nice young couple they wanted to add a small tree to the agenda. I told him $150 extra and he said "ok $200 it is.":)
Other than that just a few small bills here and there. My ground folk get more tips than I do, I guess consumers recon that I'm gettin' rich so they give it to the help. That's fine with me and they love the extra beer $$$.

-Mike-

hmm got a few 20 quid tips usually from old folks, that ply you with tea and biscuits all day, i find its also those with less money ie. living in static mobile homes that tip. people with grand old propertys are tight as ducks butt's and to boot they are usually lawn nazi's

lawn nazi s get the triple price? no actually lawn nazi if you do a good job you will be back allot.

I have not gotten many tips, but I did get a WONDERFUL customer the other day. I bid $2100 to cut down and remove/dispose of 5 large pines. 110 ft tall 40" DBH with lots of limbs. The customer first said ok then said "wait a minute, a man has to make a living, how about $2500." Of course I said sure and thank you very much. Took 2 1/2 days (days end at 1 pm because have to go to fire station to work). With me a 2 groundies, chipper, dump trailer, and bob cat. Oh have to add, I got $575 for the logs I took to the mill. I need jobs like this every week.

rwilk

Originally posted by Scars2prove-it
He had just become wheelchair bound and his wife had just had a good portion of her mouth removed due to cancer. I didn't wince when I looked at and spoke to the wife. Also when I talked to the husband I kneeled down so we could speak face to face. I treated them like family.

Man, that's the best description of good customer relations I ever heard--way to go, Scars! Reaching out to/in to folks you're working for is the way to find out what their deepest motivation is so you can best serve them;)

Tips, referrals, all that will come, but the best reward is the longterm payoff of them treeating you like family. That is customer loyalty.:angel:

The lady had several willows right under the wires. Sucker city! She asked me to stub the trees off to nothing and let them sucker out again. That made my job easier. And made her happy!

I with Mikecross, my guys get all the tips, I guess the customers think I'm the fatcat?

While working ROW I had a lady who would give me $25.00 for every load of chips I would bring her. We were cutting/clearing new R/W in her area, so I ended up taking her around 15 loads during that two weeks. Recently, the entire crew was tipped by an old fella for a job well done....two dollars each:D We gotta kick outta that one.

Several 20 euro tips over serveral years, so,....a few thousand $$$ :p . Americans don't appreciate good customer service........

its truue about the tips coming from hard workers who know what its like to be on your end. a few years ago when i drove a tow truck 95 percent of the tips came from average car owners. people who owned luxury cars rarely gave tips. oh wait , i did have a few reach in there wallet and hand me a dollar because i towed there car 200 miles one way still had another 200 miles to go its 2 am and they tell me. wow thanks get yourself a cup of coffee. alot of tips came out of lockouts. i still carry my kit to this day and especially at the mall around christmas "lend a hand"

Latest posts

Back