Here's an interesting one to bid

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
arboralliance said:
Reckon I might have pruned them a few years ago... Do they still serve scones in the morning there for the early "Pokies" crowd?

Ahhhhh, maybe you spread the Fusarium Wilt though infected pruning tools that killed it in the first place:laugh: or maybe that was someone else:hmm3grin2orange: Nah im not positive on that diagnosis, as they havent been watering these for years and they are indoors so no rainfall. But the dead one had an overpowering smell of ammonia from the head of it. Almost needed a breathing mask to block it up. I tried researcing if the smell was a symptom of fusarium wilt with no luck and they didnt want to pay for tests.

Yeah there are some sad looking souls on the pokies as soon as they open the doors in the morning:help:

We just got the go ahead to re-prune the remaining 3 this week.

Well...

trevmcrev said:
Ahhhhh, maybe you spread the Fusarium Wilt though infected pruning tools that killed it in the first place:laugh: or maybe that was someone else:hmm3grin2orange: Nah im not positive on that diagnosis, as they havent been watering these for years and they are indoors so no rainfall. But the dead one had an overpowering smell of ammonia from the head of it. Almost needed a breathing mask to block it up. I tried researcing if the smell was a symptom of fusarium wilt with no luck and they didnt want to pay for tests.

Yeah there are some sad looking souls on the pokies as soon as they open the doors in the morning:help:

We just got the go ahead to re-prune the remaining 3 this week.

I was invited in by Mal Shrimpton whom at the time was stem injecting them for the fungal infection affecting a large portion of the Phoenix in and around Melbourne, as a part of my prune and de-seed I set a watering system in the crown as asked by Mal...

Mal had spent 10's of thousands of dollars establishing a cure for the disease in a private lab and had the contract to stem inject all the Port Philip Palms among others...

You may have noticed the plastic plugs equispaced around the base of the tree from the stem injections, yellow plugs from memory...

How have you gone about sterilizing your pruning tools between cuts?

Which Palm did you remove, from memory the one furthest from the door was in furthest decline...

Is it "Fusarium wilt" that's affecting them and causing the decline?

Keen to know more about these Palms...

arboralliance said:
I was invited in by Mal Shrimpton whom at the time was stem injecting them for the fungal infection affecting a large portion of the Phoenix in and around Melbourne, as a part of my prune and de-seed I set a watering system in the crown as asked by Mal...

Mal had spent 10's of thousands of dollars establishing a cure for the disease in a private lab and had the contract to stem inject all the Port Philip Palms among others...

You may have noticed the plastic plugs equispaced around the base of the tree from the stem injections, yellow plugs from memory...

How have you gone about sterilizing your pruning tools between cuts?

Which Palm did you remove, from memory the one furthest from the door was in furthest decline...

Is it "Fusarium wilt" that's affecting them and causing the decline?

Keen to know more about these Palms...

Are we talking about the Chelsea Heights Hotel????

If so, I didnt notice the plugs, not to say they werent there though.

To get in and out in the time frame allowed, we just use different saws on each tree on the job and clean them afterwards (and before obviously). Just with degreaser, then pineoclean spray. Cant substantiate how effective that is though.

As i said, i'm not positive that it is the cause, for all i can find out about it, i have no definite answer for this one, however, if that strong ammonia smell is symptom then i'd say so. They are only treating things quite reactively, as in dont want to spend on consultative, investigative, lab testing type work. Just prune or remove, unfortunately. They havent had the watering system working for years. My strongest recommendation was that they get the soil irrigated right away. Its totally dry and depleted. What is the idea behind watering the head anyway?

The removal was of the first one as you walk in from the pokies to the bistro.

Who'd you work for in Melbourne?

Ekka, so bout the massive derail:dizzy:

Trev

What city are you in?

I would charge a minimum of $2500.00 with a crane rental and other TD's that day. YOu could have the tree removed and chipped up in about 3 hours. That price is relative to the premium of having no damage afterwards and with stump removal...

We can rent a crane and operator in Boston for about 1,200 a day. So three TD's and you made your money.

Where can you rent a crane for $1200 a day? Not from a tree care company with an operator.

genie + pancakes? stuff on the platform was used for removing Gypsy moth egg masses, so please, no comments like "find yourself a website for gutter-cleaners". do you have an access to spiderlift? all those braces and glass...I'd be scared to use a crane.

you mean

someone else gets them kinda calls its amusing on this
end! I only have one thing to say bid high! I remember doing trees
similar way too low, but when bid; I thought I bid high. I'M with some
of the others helicopter would be nice if pilot was good and wonder
the cost of a capable bird on several occasions ! I always seem to
find a way usually because I bid too low. However liability being the
big issue I would bid this one very high and hope some other tree
service was hungrier!! I don't think they would be to much headcutting
on that one.:hmm3grin2orange:

Palm

Whenever I come upon a job with so many variables,and a straight -out bid is hard to calculate,I bid the work at an hourly rate.$200,$300,$400/hr. Whatever your rate is.This allows you to expedite the removal in a timely manner.Putting safety first.(I hope)This way you won't feel rushed.Can you do the job in 2 shifts? 90% of most tree work is thinking it through.Keep me posted as to how it goes. Be careful.

_ " It is best to be silent and thought a fool,than to speak up and remove all doubt."-A. Lincoln

Back