hey i have a question about long ascends

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Remington0404

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Tomorrow I have 2 large maples to dead wood. both leaning with approximitely 60 foot free pulls. Normally I just hip thrust, or if I can I use my saftey to keep pressure, and just walk up the side while advancing my blakes. But with the degree of lean its going to be difficult to stay on top. Now my question is: can I use a split tail around two ropes at the same time creating a 1:1 system and foot lock up. Like will the knot safely hold me in place.. for a few second breaks.. slips.. ect? I seen the other thread about working the tree with two lines and mechanical devices but it didn't really talk much about using the blakes to get into the tree.

FYI... i've only used this site a few times and i've only been climbing a year last month so if this is common knowledge... sorry

Any help or tips would be appreciated.

matt

thats what i'll resort too if i can't find out if its safe or not. So has anyone done or often use what i'm talkin about?

The Blake's is proven as a hitch on a single rope in a DRT system, sounds dubious around two ropes. A Prusik is standard for a doubled rope footlock as Elmnut mentioned.

Does anybody ever footlock a doubled rope using a closed hitch like a Knut or VT etc? Seems like they could be good since they don't seize up like a Prusik does.

SRT with mechanical ascenders would be a nice way to make the ascent, that won't help you for tomorrow.
-moss

rahtreelimbs said:
For what you need just set up like you normally would and footlock the tail of your climbing line. Granted this is not the fastest way to footlock but it isn't any slower or harder than hip thrusting!!!

Yup, footlocking the running end on a DdRT sytem (with Blake's) isn't fast but you can do it all day without getitng tired, much less work than body thrusintg.
-moss

thanks i'll use my double eyed prussik rope that i use for my distel on select occasions.. to create a 3 coil prussik.

i'm still curious about the blakes though

i've seen 1 guy at work do it once and it seemed to work.. but i wanna hear from more than just one person that its ok to use

moss said:
The Blake's is proven as a hitch on a single rope in a DRT system, sounds dubious around two ropes. A Prusik is standard for a doubled rope footlock as Elmnut mentioned.

Does anybody ever footlock a doubled rope using a closed hitch like a Knut or VT etc? Seems like they could be good since they don't seize up like a Prusik does.

SRT with mechanical ascenders would be a nice way to make the ascent, that won't help you for tomorrow.
-moss

I love my ascenders. I bought a pair a few months back and tied the webbing on them myself. They are FAST. Technically, you are supposed to have a prusik above the top one for safety, but I don't bother. It does help to have abranch to step on to when you switch your rigging up top.

order a copy of the tree climber's companion, it has all of the particulars for footlocking a doubled rope with a prussik(the prussik cord needs to be of a smaller diameter than the rope ), don't use a blakes on a doubled rope. when you get to the top you flip in , and switch to your blakes system. Takes practice and will require ordering some prussik cord to do it right.

Blakes on double...

You need to do more wraps on double rope with the blakes, though it is fine to use it on double rope...

Remington0404 said:
i've never used just a normal prussik knot... any tips or anything i need to know about it?

Just keep your double fisherman's (or whatever you want to call it) away from your wraps and your clip in point. Also, make sure the prussik, when installed, allows you to get a full arm extension when you push it up the rope. Less resets that way, and faster footlocking.

i use a custom length( just under arms length) 3/8 Tenex with long spliced eye and tie the klemheist. on other end i have small eye for biner. with my experience the klemheist works much better then the prusik and is easer to tie and loosen when loaded Tenex can be spliced in very short time and be custom length to u Tenex is cheap strong and user friendly and can be used 4 a lot of other tools. if no Tenex u can use a nylon loop runner with biner or some other approved safety snap. whatever u use beshur its climbing approved and not been used for rigging or lowering :rockn:

Latest posts

Back