Hickory seasoning

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbdillon222

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have a piece of split shagbark hickory that was a top of a log that was cut in January 2011. I cut and split it on September 8, 2011. Measurements are 4"x4"x 18" and weighs exactly 10.0lbs. At what weight would this piece be ready(seasoned) for optimum burning in my woodstove? Thanks in advance!

Well, I would say, using the known fact that if you have a newborn calf and once every day you pick him up you will still be able to pick him up when he is full grown....I would say that if once every day you whomp yourself in the head with your ten pound hickory stick, you will know it is ready to burn on the day it does not hurt.

I got a wisdom tooth out a few days ago. I've been know as the elephant man since. Every four hours I need painkillers. Just how do you think I feel after reading that reply. After laughing for five minutes I have to go hit more pain killers. Thanx I've been having a hard time smiling the last couple days.

How do you think I feel after I read your reply? I'm just trying to pick the brain of all you people that are on here. Nothing more than that. I have a bunch of hickory I would love to burn later this year.

Oh no! We were replying at the same time. Sorry I thought it was a joke post. I think I just busted the stitches iron mike you have to stop. This hurts a lot.

How do you think I feel after I read your reply? I'm just trying to pick the brain of all you people that are on here. Nothing more than that. I have a bunch of hickory I would love to burn later this year.

Take a slice of the hickory stick and weigh it. Put it in the oven on low and dry it for a few hours and weigh it again. The diference in weight from green to oven dry will tell you the moisture content of the firewood. You want it to get down to around 20 % moisture content or less. I hope math is a hobby of yours.

I'm just an amateur , but I love being out in the woods with my little guy cutting and splitting. So thanks, but I will have to do the oven thing when the Mrs. Is not here.

If you can cut, split and stack your wood for at least a year before you burn it you should have no problem. As for as burning the hickory this year I would use it late in the season mixed in with some nice dry stuff. I have never really heard of any weight charts for dry wood but if there are you would have to figure out the total volume of wood you have then. Ok hold on I googled weight of dry hickory someone actually had a chart with the weight of dry cords. It says 4327 pounds per cord. I figured out that a cord is 221184 square inches and your piece is 288 square inches. Now I have no idea how to use this info but I think I'm close to figuring it out.

Sorry Fellas! I was just looking for an answer like" when it sheds 40-50%". I'm not a pro like you all.

I'd be surprised if Hickory would get down to half it's green weight. (Wood consumption by bugs, doesn't count.)

Now Silver Maple on the other hand, wouldn't suprise me at all if it was 1/4 of its green weight when dry.

Thank you "the phoenix" I appreciate the response. I just had my 175 acres logged out and I hate to see the wood go to waste. I will be out there every chance I get to cut this wood. I give it to the local people who rely on it for heat, but I also love to use it also.

Like I said it seems low for sure and the chart only said hickory so it's probably it's not accurate at all. Best idea is to let it season a year if you can up off the ground.

I cut and and split it and put a sign " free" in front if it. It's amazing the thanks we get. The logging $ is way more than enough to put my son through college so this is just icing on the cake for me.

Latest posts

Back