High Tops and filter kits

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HuskyNI

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Would like to get feed back on desire for an aftermarket Hightop and filter kit for 2 series Husqvarna and associated Jonsereds. Top cover would be injection molded likely in black. Filter kit would include a new fresh design on the adapter out of aluminum. Filter would be a standard washable and oiled filter. At present time we are looking at offering whole kits or pieces of kits. Also, what is the desire for the same style kit for the 3 series saws? Interested in hearing any and all opinions.

No interest? I see posts looking for these items on a fairly regular basis. Looking for input here folks, not selling anything. . .

Other than folks looking to spruce up a saw that has a hard to find OEM filter any AM filter kit would have to compete at a EBay AM price point to get any traction around here. People could care less if it was styled to be a high top or not. Dealers used to stock both for the 3 series Husqs and the low always out sold the high by a huge margin.

Beyond the world of saw collectors...
2 series saws are dead locally. Hardly ever see them at all beyond a rare truly dedicated owner.
5 more years and the only 3 series left will be the 395s.

Might be a market for it on eBay, kind of like the custom spike sets and fancy light weight bars.

Yeah we hear what you’re saying. We also realize that 2 series saws are “old technology” and while they may be dead where you are located we think that may be a regional thing. Where we are located there are still a good number of them in the hands of firewood cutters. We also realize that the 3 series saws are quickly being replaced by the 5 series with auto tune. We have no plans at present time to adapt anything to the late model 5 series. We also want to be clear, we are not trying to reinvent the wheel here or get rich. Only attempting to offer a product that it seems there has been a demand for from time to time. Thank you for your reply.

I personally think it would be awesome to be able to have a factory looking high top/HD filter on my jonsereds. I've always thought the 2171/2188 saws should have had a HD filter option like the 372/390 husky saws do.

Where we are coming from is the realization that there is an HD or performance filter option including a cover for Stihl saws in the MaxFlo. While there is an HD filter for 3 series Husqvarna saws, does it offer any performance gains other than better filtration? As far as our research has taken us, it seems there has been nothing produced for Husqvarna since the Eliminator Kit. We are trying to develop a product line that will give the Husqvarna loyalist another option.

I would contact some of the larger volume commercial Husqvarna dealers and ask them for some feedback on what is currently availible and what worked/sold in the past.

Stihl filters are crappy, there was a demand to solve what people thought was a problem, still is. Not so much with the Husqvarna's.

If you are making covers and adaptors, use the current selection of 3 series filters and adapt then to fit other models. Huge selection of filters, prices and no oil needed.

Justsaws, this is the the type of feedback we are looking for. Our team is a good mix of accomplished saw users as well as top notch machinists. We have ideas but any idea is only good if the public, or in this case the consumer is interested in the product. Thank you

Justsaws, this is the the type of feedback we are looking for. Our team is a good mix of accomplished saw users as well as top notch machinists. We have ideas but any idea is only good if the public, or in this case the consumer is interested in the product. Thank you

The market depth on the 2** series Huskies isn't great, but it is still good and all of the high-top parts that appear on ebay for 266/268/272/281/288 saws sell quickly usually for good money. Of course the depth will be much better on the 266/268/272 saws as there were many more of those made and most are still in use.

As Justsaws mentions, using a currently available filter is your best option. If you could fit a 372 or 385 HD filter to a 272 and have it work under a high-rise cover- that set-up would sell. Too bad the guy that originated the "Eliminator" kit isn't still around, he would be good to talk to about sales figures. I think he came out with
those kits in 1991-1992, or at least that's when I first started seeing them at the saw shops. It was about the same time when Pro-Safety brand dawgs and handles hit the retail market. Joe Berto and his "Max-Flow"/Holeshot industries came along a few years later.

Market depth on the 3** series is much better but of course you're competing with available OEM and aftermarket parts.

Jacob, the idea of adapting the later model HD filters to the older series saws is one that we have had. We think it’s a great idea and it is in the works. Our goal is to offer a broad range of products to make it easier for the average firewood gatherer to find the desired filter and ultimately keep their saws running better, longer. Whether this be in piece by piece product sales or in kit form. This is great discussion and we very much appreciate the opinions. Please, keep them coming.

Back