Hip surgery and chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I did it! 9 weeks from hip replacement. Loaded my Husky 51 and Stihl 031 up and headed for the woodlot to see if it would work. Didn't do much, just cleared up some of last winters remains of burn piles, cut a couple of trashy small trees, brushed and piled. Back in the bard by 1200 (didn't bring any wood with me). I did have to make some adjustments such as watching what leg leads when climbing in and out of the pu bed, not lifting anything really heavy, roll instead of lift if possible, etc. All in all it looks like my fun life behind a saw is still there. A bit stiff this morning but...

One more bit of good news. A new guy has bought out the closed down small engine shop in town. Great, now I don't have to drive 30 miles to get a bit of service.

Harry K:)

Sounds good. I'm sure it felt good to get out in the wood lot. Hope you keep doing well. My father in law had one of those a few years back and it was a rough thing. Just don' t over do it.
Good Luck BS

Glad you can get out. I coulnt imagine not being able to go out and hunt or work in the woods.
Hope things keep improving,
Hunter

I hope you get better soon, if not I'll come up there and MAKE you get better or go nuts, whichever comes first. Its always fun to watch the men in white coats take a man out of a room in a straightjacket. I'll get a mans brain firing so fast you'll think it just put a synapse through the block! I know I did.:D

keep us posted on it.. i got an idea something similar may be in my future..
only with me its shoulders. if i thot it would give me 10 more yrs ,,id have to figure a way to get it done...good luck and dont over do it.

As for overdoing it, you are all correct. I had to take it easy for the next day. Have a small load of brush to go back tomorrow and will do a bit more brushing but nowhere near as much this time. I do have my last therapy session today but will continue working the leg hard on my home exercises. I was warned going in that the clue to the process was to exercise, exercise and more of that. From the people I have talked to including doctors, the ones who have a problem with the procedure are those who don't follow the therapy advice.

Harry K

Just a quick update.

2 months and 2 weeks past the surgery.
Therapy certified me as fit last week, last appointment.
Saw Ortho doc yesterday. He has also basically signed off on this although followup appointments will be necessary. Also says that as long as I have no pain in the other hip nothing needs doing. Now that is good news!

I cut a load of firewood on Wed. No problems, no soreness next day, actually the leg/hip felt better on Thur than it had for a week.

Told the doc that I was out cutting wood/mowing/ etc. He says that is fine as long as nothing hurts.

Both doc and therapist say that I am way ahead of normal recovery tho. A lot of that, I think, is that I worked the H* out of the leg on the therapy exercises, both at the hospital and at home.

Chainsaws here I come... Boy was it nice hearing the MS 310 snarling while eating a tree. I do need to watch what I am doing better. The tree was about 60ft and 20" dbh. I -really- butchered the falling cut and missed my aim by at least 10 degree because of it. Too rusty, to distracted or sumpin.

Harry K

gradually build back up to speed..and congatulations. i know it must feel good,, to feel like u can handle,, most anything again.

I hate havingto be off my feet because of surgery, Glad to hear you're doing well though. If you slowly build up speed again and are careful, you'll be back to top performance again in notime.

I am with you on the recovery, I understand what it takes to get back on your feet after surgery. I still remeber my first unassisted walk.... all 6 ft of it. The next day I made it out on to the deck, lasted about 10 min. went back inside and fell asleep for almost two hours. What i'm getting at is the work it and rest it routine that you get into after you have something done... Keep it up you are cheered on by many of us!

Later,
Chris

Back