Hollow Trees

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toolmaker

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Let's hear your stories about what you've found in them!!!!
I was cutting up a hollow white oak and found last winter and found two 'coon skulls.
Yesterday I dropped a dead cherry and a squirrel jumped out of a hole.
I bet he had a wild ride on the way down!

I dropped a willow and three mice ran out. Once I cut a maple that was hollow and I found an old metal gas cap. It looked like it was off an old truck.
Rob

hollow tree

I think money, diamonds, a bage of crack, or other valuables would make a better story:jawdrop: :dizzy:

Had two racoons run out of an old beech I dropped this winter.

Guy I used to work with had some serious payback for doing what kids do when he got older. Cut down a big maple in front of the town hall, rocked out about 4 chains getting it cut off. Hollow was filled with about a 1/2 ton of stones. Got thinking about it after the fact, remembered throwing them there on the way home from school with all his buddies when they were 8 or 10 years old, happened eevery day after school for years!

havvey said:
I think money, diamonds, a bage of crack, or other valuables would make a better story:jawdrop: :dizzy:
My brother and i were cutting down trees and after i droped mine i watched him drop his .... the whole time he was "bent over" cutting there was nothing but "crack" showing . :jawdrop: No bag of crack ,butt a whole hell of lot of it non the less.

fencepost, Nails, fencewire....the joys of cutting firewood in old pastures.

the whole time he was "bent over" cutting there was nothing but "crack" showing . No bag of crack ,butt a whole hell of lot of it non the less.

We have heard of plumber's butt so would what you saw be logger's butt? :rockn:

I was taking down a hollow crab apple tree for an older gent down the road when the sparks started flying. Then he remembered he'd put concrete down the hole.:cry:

One of my neighbors has an old metal powder horn he found splitting a crotch that was about twenty feet off the ground

Found a bunch of small clear and colored bottles, part of a plow, hammer head, and a bunch of chains.:mad: When I was a kid my dad found a muzzle loader trigger and hammer set. Mostly fencing and metal poles in the outer layers. It is as though the trees in my yard were born with metal in their genes. I occasionally hit what I think are bullets, something made out of lead.:chainsaw:

Was cutting up a big maple in a guys back yard. Cut through one big limb and saw a tittle furry thing drop out. Turns out I beheaded a baby owl:censored:
After that, saw the mother flying around....What a bummer:(

Last week I jump cut a 14 inch dying red oak limb on my dads farm in arkansas. I struggled to do it with my bity baby red max and used his wood shark poulan to dice it up. I sliced off a collar over a dead stub and from the exposed void about 2 fingers worth, unfolded and flew away.... a bat. I bet he tells stories to the grandkids about the day the apocalypse came...

Once before, I climbed past a hollow and heard a scary hiss... It was 3 huge juvenile owls. I fought a duel with a snake in a tree armed with a partner mini-p.... Black gooed a coral snake in a live oak in Baratarria Jean Lafitte National Historical Park (I wonder if those huge live oaks survived Katrina) That came out of a hollow. We raise squirrels, several a year from nests...

We were in Texas and got a coon that fell in a sweetgum thrown.

Im a second generation tree man. My father found a hand forged tool along the Mississippi at the Lepersarium that was dated to the Spaniard explorers.

We were in Mississippi at Myrtle Grove plantation removing water oaks that had grown up in the wrought iron decorative fence around the grave yard. It had headstones worth $100,000.00 in it. After felling, finding a hollow, we slabbed just outside the fence and cut in to form a "potty" chair. One could see the fence imbedded in the inside wall. I dropped my drawers, and took a photo appropriately seated to down load my troubles, reading Alex Shigo's book, Touching Trees. He really enjoyed the photo.

Latest posts

Back