Holt HGW 60R stump grinder

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jimma

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I just saw an Eraser Holt 66HP diesel stump grinder with a Kubolta diesel in it. I've never seen one before and it looks pretty interesting. Anyone have any experience with it?

That wheel is pretty crazy looking. Looks like a quad wheel but with 5 teeth on each arm.

I have no idea how much that machine costs. I have seen their video and just don't like that weird cutter wheel. The teeth seem small for a 60 HP machine. You would have to consider that there would be some power loss to the wheel because of the hydraulic drive. Even if your effective power is 50 HP it should be more than adequate. It is a fine looking machine but the one they show does not have a tandem wheel setup. I think it would be very tippy on any uneven ground. They even mention in the video that you can put the push blade down for stability while grinding. HUH!? If you have to traverse a property that has any slope at all to it, I think it would be very scary. If you were to grind eight inches deep and drop one of those wheels into the hole you just ground out, I think you could be in trouble. I like how the panels swing out for easy maintenance.

Cupofcoffee, you were exactly right. did ended up purchasing a used holt eraser. Huge mistake. The first job I took it too was down a slope. I figured I could go straight down without any problems. When I started down the slope, the hydraulics didn't hold and it went down like it was in neutral. The wheels were slightly turned and before I could stop it, it topple over. Had to get a tow truck to wench it up. When I got it up and running again, When I used it, it didn't have the traction to climb the smallest of debris as I tried backing into the stump to grind it. When I called the manufacturer, they gave me instructions to put in a solid NPT plug in the hydraulic box to give it more traction. I did that and it worked for that. But the hydraulic fluid started foaming and you could see a stream of bubbles thru the hydraulic view window. Not sure what I'm going to do with this piece of junk but I can't sell it the way it is in good conscience. Oh yea, the cabinets on the machine are very handy, but on the big cabinet, the hinges broke off and are $48.00 each to replace them. Very expensive door stop for my garage.

Cupofcoffee, you were exactly right. did ended up purchasing a used holt eraser. Huge mistake. The first job I took it too was down a slope. I figured I could go straight down without any problems. When I started down the slope, the hydraulics didn't hold and it went down like it was in neutral. The wheels were slightly turned and before I could stop it, it topple over. Had to get a tow truck to wench it up. When I got it up and running again, When I used it, it didn't have the traction to climb the smallest of debris as I tried backing into the stump to grind it. When I called the manufacturer, they gave me instructions to put in a solid NPT plug in the hydraulic box to give it more traction. I did that and it worked for that. But the hydraulic fluid started foaming and you could see a stream of bubbles thru the hydraulic view window. Not sure what I'm going to do with this piece of junk but I can't sell it the way it is in good conscience. Oh yea, the cabinets on the machine are very handy, but on the big cabinet, the hinges broke off and are $48.00 each to replace them. Very expensive door stop for my garage.
Wow, Jimma. I hate to hear how that all fell apart so fast. I just hope other people, who are considering that piece of equipment, will read your note. I have no idea if there is any recourse for that. That part about going down hill like it was in neutral is a terrible design flaw.

That is simply unacceptable. I would be on that manufacturer until they refund me or deliver me a product that works.

They def need extra support wheels for stability. Way too top heavy. I would be afraid of it falling over on the trailer driving down the road. Also i could see that long funky drive motor and hoses getting in the way grinding down a fence line. Also no need for a 5 tooth wide cutter wheel, way too much drag in a chip pile. They should have field tested a prototype with an experienced grinder in the field before mass producing anything. Some people think just because they have an enginering degree that they whats best.....geeeeez

Latest posts

Back