Holy Smokes!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't do it

Tzed250 said:
Are the piston rings for my 044 really $21.00 each!? Is the carb kit really $27.00!? :rolleyes:

Go to Bailey's if your doing that and get the BB kit for $100. If your going to spend money, might as well get some beef.:biggrinbounce2:

There are two carb kits available from Stihl dealers - IPL kit and Vendor kit, both through Stihl. You have been quoted the IPL kit which is just outrageous even at dealer cost... Don't kick your dealer too hard though - he probably doesn't even know about the "vendor" kit listing, although he should... Even the "vendor kit" is pricey, but it is an exact match for any particular carb with any updates, not generic. You most likely can get away with a generic kit.. $5-15 depending on carb and supplier.

Rings... you probably need 1.2mm thick rings.. Harder to find in aftermarket than the 1.5mm but they are out there...

Thanks!

So those are legit prices then? I would have never thought that that stuff was so high. The big bore kits that baileys offers, where are they made, and are they as reliable as a genuine Stihl top end?

Tzed250 said:
So those are legit prices then? I would have never thought that that stuff was so high. The big bore kits that baileys offers, where are they made, and are they as reliable as a genuine Stihl top end?

The prices are "legit"... It's like buying your parts from Chevy instead of Napa..

Baileys are Chinese. "Reliability" - Who knows... Short term is never really an issue. Reliability can only be measured over a long period with many units. The few that have been installed on AS member saws seem to be working o.k.

Welcome to the world of stihl parts pricing. I just hope and pray that i dont ever need to buy factory parts for my 066. Only got one arm left to give them:hmm3grin2orange: .
Just like Lakeside said, I once had to buy a dealer only part for a 89 chevy truck when it was still pretty new. The dealer only fuel sending unit was $342. Now days you can get it through aftermarket for $99.

Cut4fun said:
Welcome to the world of stihl parts pricing. I just hope and pray that i dont ever need to buy factory parts for my 066. Only got one arm left to give them:hmm3grin2orange: .
Just like Lakeside said, I once had to buy a dealer only part for a 89 chevy truck when it was still pretty new. The dealer only fuel sending unit was $342. Now days you can get it through aftermarket for $99.

Ha! you think it's only Stihl??? :laugh: :laugh:

Lakeside53 said:
The prices are "legit"... It's like buying your parts from Chevy instead of Napa..

Baileys are Chinese. "Reliability" - Who knows... Short term is never really an issue. Reliability can only be measured over a long period with many units. The few that have been installed on AS member saws seem to be working o.k.

Howdy,
Just wanted to mention that our aftermarket parts come from ISO factories in Taiwan. I would imagine it'll be soon enough when we will all see how good Chinese quality is as the parts start landing here from Stihl's new factory outside of Shanghai.

Grande Dog said:
Howdy,
Just wanted to mention that our aftermarket parts come from ISO factories in Taiwan. I would imagine it'll be soon enough when we will all see how good Chinese quality is as the parts start landing here from Stihl's new factory outside of Shanghai.

Touche!:D My bad... Taiwan I have more faith in.

I don't have a problem with where it's made... USA or offshore... It's the QA and QC processes that determine the quality and consistency final product. Owning your own factory in a foreign market is a great way to start. As far as I know the new Stihl plant is just to supply the Chinese/adjacent Asian markets, but I'm sure we'll see parts eventually. Heck, we've all been using Zama carbs from China for years.

Sure haven't seen much in the USA from Stihl factories in Brazil. Pity, I'd like to get a new 051 :)
..and a couple of MS380's!

AIP is also ISO.. but... quality sure varies...

Not many skis made in the USA any more, not much of anything for that matter, and skis have never been better :popcorn:

Last edited:
Grande Dog said:
Howdy,
Dang, I think we found someone who could take on Jeff.:ices_rofl:

Back