Homelite 150

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RyanMac

Reaction score
Hello all, I've been lurking here for a while soaking up all the good info. I have an old Mcculloch 10 10 and I just picked up a little Homelite 150 that needed a good home. The onwer said that it hadn't run in about 2 years but the only reason it stopped running was the pull cord starter broke. Since I havent gotten the new starter for iit I decided I'd start cleaning it up. I turned the crank with a wrench and I am getting ligh greenish oil out of the carb and exhaust. I opened the bar oil resevoir and the same oil is in there. I am somewhat mechanically inclined but I'm not sure what to do. How is the old bar oil getting in the cylinder? I found a starter for it, but think I need to figure this out first.

Any suggestions?

Hello all, I've been lurking here for a while soaking up all the good info. I have an old Mcculloch 10 10 and I just picked up a little Homelite 150 that needed a good home. The onwer said that it hadn't run in about 2 years but the only reason it stopped running was the pull cord starter broke. Since I havent gotten the new starter for iit I decided I'd start cleaning it up. I turned the crank with a wrench and I am getting ligh greenish oil out of the carb and exhaust. I opened the bar oil resevoir and the same oil is in there. I am somewhat mechanically inclined but I'm not sure what to do. How is the old bar oil getting in the cylinder? I found a starter for it, but think I need to figure this out first.

Any suggestions?

welcome to the site, been a long time since working on a 150, but the oil is most likely coming in through the oiler diaphragm, it's mounted in the oil tank(front part of the saw) on the front of the crankcase, good place to start, good luck with it:cool2:

The first thing I would do is to drain all the oil out of the oil tank, then start finding a way of removing the oil from the rest of the engine. The quickest way I've found is to dilute the oil with a little gas, that will make it thinner so it'll come out easier, pull the spark plug and muffler if it's not too difficult, then stand it up with bar up and let the oil run out of it. On these older saws it's not a good idea to let them sit for years with oil in them or this is what will happen to most of them. It's best in my opinion to not use the sticky bar oil in these older saws, they were made for plain old motor oil.

Thanks for the advice. I ordered a gasket and seal kit, so hopefully next week a I will be able to break this thing down and fix the issue.

Back