Homelite 330/Endplay?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bplust

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I'm working on a 330 right now; just put all new lines in, changed out the impulse boot, and rebuilt and tuned the carburetor. I runs great, however, I cannot get the chain to stop spinning, so I figured the clutch springs were in need of replacing. I took off the clutch drum, and did find noticeably weak springs, and in finding them, I also noticed that you can move the crankshaft from side to side around 1/16". Is this what people are talking about when they say "endplay", and if so, what's acceptable? I took a look at two parts saws I have that both turn over, and they have zero horizontal crankshaft movement. The saw seems to run fine besides needing some clutch work; I assume, based on no experience, that if a saw had a crankshaft moving from side to side as much as this one (which for all I know is usual), it would have symptoms of an air leak.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Also, what's the band of material on the outside round edge of the shoes? If it's coming off/missing in some areas, do I have to replace the whole clutch, as this might cause a lack of balance?

Thanks Brad. Not sure of the bearings; I assume you mean crank bearings.

Yea, I just tore down another 330, a great runner, no problems, to check it out, and it's got the same amount of play.

So am I going to have to replace the entire clutch or just the springs because of missing material on the outer edge?

Back