homelite 650 resto project

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

big1079

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I have been looking for a super 650 for a while but always to pricey,So i decided do redo another 750 i had in the shed.The clutch didn't look right so I realized it was infact a super 650 w/ a 750 cover on one side.Any way the fuel tank leaks and i tried to split it but the screws kept breaking off i guess because of contact with the seam sealer. I was wandering if anyone has succesfuly opened one of these tanks up and howd you go about it?

STOP!:Eye: :Eye:

Back away from the saw....... Ill call you tonight at the number you provided.

The bad thing about this is that you will have to remove any broken screws from the tank halves before you can re assemble it.

I dont think the tanks were ment to be disassembled.

Ill try to call around 7:00-8:00.

Eric

Yea, I don't think these are meant to be split. All parts IPL show the tank as a single unit. I have a few but none leak, so I've never tried to split one. I assume their assembled like a 150 tank which means the bolts are locked in so tight its almost impossible to get them out without them wringing off.

Dan

well, there is a way to get them bolts out if in fact they are locktighted. HEAT will release locktight, and being a gas tank you dont really want to use open flame unless you can purge all fuel vapour from the tank, but there is another alternative, use a high power soldering iron touch it to the end of the bolt and hold it on until its hot, might take a while but its better then the alternative, you don't need a ton of heat just enough to release the locktight.

Be careful what you saw on the Internet, we'l be hearing BOOMS all over the country......

Marty, I missed your call this morning, hope you did good at the Sawps! Ill be around for the rest of the day/night if you want to try again.

The real bummer is that the tank may be FUBAR at this point, Id hate to be the guy charged with removing them lil screws from the magnesium case.

Be careful what you saw on the Internet, we'l be hearing BOOMS all over the country......

Yes thats why I said the soldering iron route. Welding or open flame on a gas tank is dangerious but can be done safely if the proper procedures are taken into consideration. like filing the tank with a inert gas, like Co2 or Argon. But I still like to avoid it.

RBW,

I am the worst at reading what people are indicating in web posts so I may be wrong. I will not dispute the difficulty of splitting the tank. It is a given that splitting it will be a losing battle. As for whether the heating methods will help. I do not know. Now as for welding or heating on fuel tanks is not all that dangerous. I have done it without issue and I will anytime. The main worry is displacement. If you displace the flamables (i.e. fumes) you do not need to worry.

Bill

Yeah, you are both correct.;)

Thoroughly rinsing the tank is the key. I would soak over night with soapy water and feel fine with welding, torching or other.

Hell, I use Either (starting fluid) to mount tractor tires, I would just be carefull who I told this too for fear they might try it.

OOPS!

Dont anyone try this at home, go to someone elses house!

Yeah, you are both correct.;)

Thoroughly rinsing the tank is the key. I would soak over night with soapy water and feel fine with welding, torching or other.

Hell, I use Either (starting fluid) to mount tractor tires, I would just be carefull who I told this too for fear they might try it.

OOPS!

Dont anyone try this at home, go to someone elses house!

well, there is a way to get them bolts out if in fact they are locktighted. HEAT will release locktight, and being a gas tank you dont really want to use open flame unless you can purge all fuel vapour from the tank, but there is another alternative, use a high power soldering iron touch it to the end of the bolt and hold it on until its hot, might take a while but its better then the alternative, you don't need a ton of heat just enough to release the locktight.

A heatgun designed for the electonics industy is the ticket.. pinpoint heat, 800+ degrees... great for hitting the tough screws...

Model 6966 is what I use.. Comes with a set of nozzles down to 1/8 inch.

http://www.elexp.com/sdr_1095.htm

Latest posts

Back