Homelite 770G Tuning...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ridgerunner97

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have a 770G with a 28in Oregon Armor Tip and 1/2" pitch chain on it. I am trying to get it tuned in just right but had some questions. Do these 770G's have a governor on them of some type? I'm trying to tune it by ear but am having trouble because it is so doggone loud. I was watching some 770G videos on youtube and the 770's in the videos were singing quite a bit faster than mine. They have that trademark Homelite "moan" in the wood where mine just starts to moan under load. Does anyone know what kind of RPM's these should turn out of the cut no load? It seems this saw would be easier for me to tune with a tach than by ear. Any input is appreciated guys! :rock:

-Jon

I have a 770G with a 28in Oregon Armor Tip and 1/2" pitch chain on it. I am trying to get it tuned in just right but had some questions. Do these 770G's have a governor on them of some type? I'm trying to tune it by ear but am having trouble because it is so doggone loud. I was watching some 770G videos on youtube and the 770's in the videos were singing quite a bit faster than mine. They have that trademark Homelite "moan" in the wood where mine just starts to moan under load. Does anyone know what kind of RPM's these should turn out of the cut no load? It seems this saw would be easier for me to tune with a tach than by ear. Any input is appreciated guys! :rock:

-Jon
Model Profile: 770-G
Igpoe:cheers:

If your having to pull up pretty hard to get her to run right, go a little leaner. CW on the High needle just a little. She should clean up (moan) just as she digs in and if you lift up should go right back to 4-stroking. The catch is the tone change, almost like it's skipping a beat or two and then just smooth running in the wood.

Thanks guys, i'll see what I can get the ole timer to do. Has anybody that ever ran one been able to lean on it and stall the chain out? I'm wondering if my clutch isn't starting to go a little bit...If I dawg it in good and heavy I can stall the chain out.

Thanks guys, i'll see what I can get the ole timer to do. Has anybody that ever ran one been able to lean on it and stall the chain out? I'm wondering if my clutch isn't starting to go a little bit...If I dawg it in good and heavy I can stall the chain out.

We may have an idea how strong your saw is, but NO idea how big and strong YOU are. Get your mom to try it and compare with her opinion! (Insert image of Ricky Tidwells'
moma, Doris)
Igpoe:cheers:

If your having to pull up that hard, maybe the chain needs some attention? I can stall most saws and I'm 5'6" and 175. Just a little pull is OK, let the saw do the work. A good sharp chain will feed itself. Have you listened to a video of saw tuning? The sound of 4-stroking is different and once you can identify it, unmistakable, especially in an older saw because of the open muffler.

The saw should clean out as soon as you set it into the wood and 4-stroke when you lift it from the cut. Listen to this video, remember this is a Stihl at higher RPM and in a saw of 6k RPM is much louder and pronounced.

http://www.arboristsite.com/chainsaw/113538.htm

If your having to pull up that hard, maybe the chain needs some attention? I can stall most saws and I'm 5'6" and 175. Just a little pull is OK, let the saw do the work. A good sharp chain will feed itself. Have you listened to a video of saw tuning? The sound of 4-stroking is different and once you can identify it, unmistakable, especially in an older saw because of the open muffler.

The saw should clean out as soon as you set it into the wood and 4-stroke when you lift it from the cut. Listen to this video, remember this is a Stihl at higher RPM and in a saw of 6k RPM is much louder and pronounced.

http://www.arboristsite.com/chainsaw/113538.htm

Good Video, this ain't my first rodeo though, just having trouble distinguishing this one for some reason :cool2:

That has the Tilly HL carb and very easy to tune. H side is 1 turn L side is 3/4 start there that will really get that gear drive running right...I have a few:hmm3grin2orange:

Sweeeeeeeeet. I didn't know where the starting point was for this Tilly, I did 1 and 1 and a 1/4 I think, can't remember. I'll go give em a twist and see what I get :msp_thumbup:

Back