Homelite Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just put a new P&C on my 750, and I have it tach'ing out at just under 11000 RPM. Is that correct, or should I lean it out more? It is just slightly two stroking, from what I can hear.

Where the heck did you find those ? :msp_confused:
RPMs sound on the safe side. You could probably lean it out a little bit.
Acres says 11K-12K no load speed. The "4-stroking" sound is usually easy to hear on old saws.

I wouldn't risk an uber-expensive and rare NOS 750 P/C set for the sake of a few more RPM's. With these big old saws, I get 'em to where they're just barely (but constantly) 'bouncing' back and forth between four-stroking and cleaning out when at WOT with no load. They clean out just fine in the cut. RPM's be damned. I don't want the saw leaning out too much in the cut.

LOL yeah they are tough to find.

chainsawr had a new cylinder, and I found the piston on ebay. Paid a lot, but well worth it.

That's something you don't see every day. What a pretty sight...:clap:

I wouldn't risk an uber-expensive and rare NOS 750 P/C set for the sake of a few more RPM's. With these big old saws, I get 'em to where they're just barely (but constantly) 'bouncing' back and forth between four-stroking and cleaning out when at WOT with no load. They clean out just fine in the cut. RPM's be damned. I don't want the saw leaning out too much in the cut.

That's something you don't see every day. What a pretty sight...:clap:

couldn't you just clean the piston and re hone the cylinder

couldn't you just clean the piston and re hone the cylinder

The cylinders on most Homelites are chrome plated. There's not really any benefit from honing them, and they cannot be bored (unlike most older McCullochs). If a chrome plated cylinder is damaged by a lean sieze or overheating, then it's gonna be shot. Replating (or replacement) is the only option then...

The cylinders on most Homelites are chrome plated. There's not really any benefit from honing them, and they cannot be bored (unlike most older McCullochs). If a chrome plated cylinder is damaged by a lean sieze or overheating, then it's gonna be shot. Replating (or replacement) is the only option then...

Bingo....

The chrome was gone around the exhaust port. Piston was pretty buggered up too.

BTW I made a few cuts with it tonight, and it was 4 stroking in the cuts. A little rich, but I will take my time leaning it out. Love the saw.

Here is a picture:

021.jpg

I didn't know it was in that bad of shape and wen I said hone I meant polish and I have done that with rusted or slightly burnt cylinders and pistons aren't a worry to clean up unless they have canyons in them

I should be ok..I better be...I used to have a 5400 poulan..

I have an 066 and 056 now...so this one I am excited about...my first big Homelite.

well at-least you are moving up and going red but that pol sounds like fun --- just found a s10 its only 73.00 rite know he said it is in working order how long you think it will stay that lo

Last edited:
well at-least you are moving up and going red but that pol sounds like fun --- just found a s10 its only 73.00 rite know he said it is in working order how long you think it will stay that lo

Hi donthraen. :)

I like these old beasts too. Hope to get the XL Automatic from my neighbor at some point. I know, it's not a 750, but it is a good little saw. :)

In reality, any of these old saws (McCulloch, Homelite, Poulan, etc.) are great saws. :cheers: We all (I hope...) have some of the best saws that have ever been built. :)

Hi donthraen. :)

I like these old beasts too. Hope to get the XL Automatic from my neighbor at some point. I know, it's not a 750, but it is a good little saw. :)

In reality, any of these old saws (McCulloch, Homelite, Poulan, etc.) are great saws. :cheers: We all (I hope...) have some of the best saws that have ever been built. :)

hi-- I have an xl and a xl automatic and you're rite old saws cant be beat no matter what the brand and I think hear at AS we do have the best ever made

Classic 200

Chainsawlady had the oil valve I need for the 200 :rock:

Now all I need is the little cover that goes over the carb area P/N 02481 and this saw will be up a rolling. Got all the parts cleaned up this AM. You would think that little cover wouldn't be so hard to find. Isn't it shared on a bunch of Homelite top handle models? :bang:

Hey guys, my neighbour has me working on his Homelite XL he was given free, the saw sat a long time and was flooded at one point, so it needed cleaning real bad. Question is the carb is shot, I can't get the throttle to even budge, even after soaking in cleaner, so now the shaft is bent. It's a Walbro HDC-65, I can't seem to find one on ebay, so I was wondering what other models carbs would work??? The seems to be from 1984. Also needs all fuel and ol lines replaced, what size are those?? Thanks

Hey guys, my neighbor has me working on his Homelite XL he was given free, the saw sat a long time and was flooded at one point, so it needed cleaning real bad. Question is the carb is shot, I can't get the throttle to even budge, even after soaking in cleaner, so now the shaft is bent. It's a Walbro HDC-65, I can't seem to find one on ebay, so I was wondering what other models carbs would work??? The seems to be from 1984. Also needs all fuel and oil lines replaced, what size are those?? Thanks

The best I could recommend would be to pick up a donor saw, will probably be cheaper than buying the carb. Take you fuel and oil line into a small engine shop and have them cut you a new one.

Back