Homelite Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
....and yes Aaron, I still have your address and the saw will be on the way on Monday!!

No? Well you've gotta admit it was worth a shot Ron.:jester:

Nuthin wrong with a good try man !!
who knows,someday it may go away.
i wonder what a package deal on both would bring on ebay ? :)
just teasing.. :)

Picked up some fuel line, carb kit for the SP125 and today and forgot to get a duckbill valve for the 330 I am working on. Need to start making a list of things to get I guess. Can't put the saw back together without that.

Frustating to do that to ones self. It has been down hill since I hit 40 a month or so back:bang:

Picked up some fuel line, carb kit for the SP125 and today and forgot to get a duckbill valve for the 330 I am working on. Need to start making a list of things to get I guess. Can't put the saw back together without that.

Frustating to do that to ones self. It has been down hill since I hit 40 a month or so back:bang:

Don't feel so bad Shane. As far as short-term memory deterioration goes, I'll bet I roared past you years ago...............and I'm only 38...:bang:

Wait til you get to 44 :msp_ohmy::bang::bang::cry::cry:

Remembering

Struggle
Your quote made me think of my sisters advise when she was in her middle forties. Said "Life begins at forty - all down hill." She would have been 92 last summer.
chainsawlady

Don't feel so bad Shane. As far as short-term memory deterioration goes, I'll bet I roared past you years ago...............and I'm only 38...:bang:

LOL !! dont worry about the STM,,when you get the CRS is when it gets bad !!
i cant even remember where i put my lists of things to do and get..
have to make a note of where the list is,then i cant remember where i put the note !! :(

LOL !! dont worry about the STM,,when you get the CRS is when it gets bad !!
i cant even remember where i put my lists of things to do and get..
have to make a note of where the list is,then i cant remember where i put the note !! :(

Yeah.........I've got CRS already Ron. A friend at work who's 50-something tells me, "just wait until you get CRAFT".:D

I've had a couple of them and assumed they had the same boot problem as the 330... I don't especially like the 360 spark plug wire apparatus...
Valid point there. I am ok with them and I grab them for backups when I see them for sale cheap.
I like the rest of the design and I've gotten most of my '50s cheap because others don't want to deal with "the apparatus". LOL
The carb. boots are rubber and fail on any old saw, just like fuel and impulse lines. Modern-quality replacements are readily available.

Last edited:
so i did a couple mods to the XL-Automatic. a little porting, oh and an expansion chamber. running around 11000 rpm.

[video=youtube;RWoEwvuHX2I]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWoEwvuHX2I[/video]

Valid point there. I am ok with them and I grab them for backups when I see them for sale cheap.
I like the rest of the design and I've gotten most of my '50s cheap because others don't want to deal with "the apparatus". LOL
The carb. boots are rubber and fail on any old saw, just like fuel and impulse lines. Modern-quality replacements are readily available.

Brian, I like to keep a few saws around that don't have a boot, namely the old solid saws. Some people don't like them because of the vibration but I don't cut all that much wood and the vibes don't bother me. To each his own, however.

so i did a couple mods to the XL-Automatic. a little porting, oh and an expansion chamber. running around 11000 rpm.

[video=youtube;RWoEwvuHX2I]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWoEwvuHX2I[/video]

The mods that you did to that saw were really cool, but it is pathetic how slow cutting it is. Perhaps that chain needs a little sharpening. What is that, like a 3" log?

"The mods that you did to that saw were really cool, but it is pathetic how slow cutting it is. Perhaps that chain needs a little sharpening. What is that, like a 3" log?"

ya the wood was pretty small. I was quite disappointed with the cutting speed as well. especially at the high revs. It should burn through that like warm butter. The chain does need some work, or just replaced. The guy I got that saw from said it was the original chain.
Now I'll just have to go back out and cut some more, gotta re tune with a better chain on it. The saw is a little loud, don't know how long the neighbours will stand it

Last edited:
I'd be curious to know what you really did to port that saw. I like this model and have quite a few of them. They are a reed valve saw, pistons are not open and the intakes are solid block assemblies. They do have lots of torque and really lack RPM, got any pictures of what you did and a brief description of the work?

I'd be curious to know what you really did to port that saw. I like this model and have quite a few of them. They are a reed valve saw, pistons are not open and the intakes are solid block assemblies. They do have lots of torque and really lack RPM, got any pictures of what you did and a brief description of the work?

I opened up the top of the exhaust port a fair bit. Removed the ramp almost completely before I polished it up. Also narrowed the bridge I did not do much with the width, just got it all equal. On the intake side, all I did was get everything in line, took out all obstructions. If you look in the carb and intake do not line up very well, also polished that up nice and smooth. Everywhere else I just removed any rough seams and polished up smooth. Rebuilt with new rings, and removed the base gasket for a little more squish. The pipe I designed with 2 stoke wizard pro 3. So far its running pretty good. Out of all my saws this one has the shortest stroke, that's the only reason I chose it to modify. Sorry i did not take any pics.

Last edited:
I opened up the top of the exhaust port a fair bit. Removed the ramp almost completely before I polished it up. Also narrowed the bridge I did not do much with the width, just got it all equal. On the intake side, all I did was get everything in line, took out all obstructions. If you look in the carb and intake do not line up very well, also polished that up nice and smooth. Everywhere else I just removed any rough seams and polished up smooth. Rebuilt with new rings, and removed the base gasket for a little more squish. The pipe I designed with 2 stoke wizard pro 3. So far its running pretty good. Out of all my saws this one has the shortest stroke, that's the only reason I chose it to modify. Sorry i did not take any pics.

It sounded strong. Methinks the problem is with your chain. Put a fresh loop of chisel on it. If it's the original chain, then it's probably chipper or semi-chisel.

Latest posts

Back