Homelite Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Something showed up in my garage the other day, so I figured you guys would be the ones to ask if it's worth messing with... It's an XL800... Best I can tell is it's 82cc of Homelite metal... Good compression and runs on prime... Leaks fuel like cheesecloth... Previous owner has made a feeble attempt to repair case leak with something resembling fiberglass??? Is this something worth messing with? Or offer it up as parts?
I got plenty of other saw projects going on...

Funny thing is... For a saw of it's age and displacement, it ain't that heavy!!! :msp_confused:

if you don't wanna mess with it i might.

Something showed up in my garage the other day, so I figured you guys would be the ones to ask if it's worth messing with... It's an XL800... Best I can tell is it's 82cc of Homelite metal... Good compression and runs on prime... Leaks fuel like cheesecloth... Previous owner has made a feeble attempt to repair case leak with something resembling fiberglass??? Is this something worth messing with? Or offer it up as parts?
I got plenty of other saw projects going on...

Funny thing is... For a saw of it's age and displacement, it ain't that heavy!!! :msp_confused:

if you don't wanna mess with it i might.

Same here, especially if it has a good P/C. I've got enough projects already (more than enough), but I'd be interested in it as a parts saw for sure.

I really think the case must be damaged under that "repair". I'll get a couple pics tonight and post em' up here tomorrow... I think it's good "parts" will be of more use to someone than the saw as a restoration project. Otherwise, I'd just send ya the saw Jerry...:hmm3grin2orange:

I really think the case must be damaged under that "repair". I'll get a couple pics tonight and post em' up here tomorrow... I think it's good "parts" will be of more use to someone than the saw as a restoration project. Otherwise, I'd just send ya the saw Jerry...:hmm3grin2orange:

Jerry's ahead of me "in line" regardless.:msp_thumbup:

Jerry's ahead of me "in line" regardless.:msp_thumbup:

Jerry's gonna need to build a pole barn to hold all them old saws if he keeps this up!!! He needs a fire breathin' saw for the get to gether's...

Jerry? that poulan pro need some metal removed from it's guts???
Hmmm????

attachment.php

Well I have transplanted another motor into the super 2. Now I have no spark. It's a points ignition and I have no clue on these. Same flywheel, coil, points as previous engine. Tried a know working plug. Where do I go from here?.

Been having trouble with intermittent spark on my latest C5 project. Finally decided to change the plug wire and discovered the mounting surface under the pole piece was covered with 'white death' and the coil insulation is turning to mush. Soft like a Knerff ball.

Anyone see any thing like this before?

I'll have to find another coil.

Yikes! 73 USD on evilbay.

I had one for sale on there and it was a bunch cheaper than that and nobody wanted it, complete ignition system, I finally threw all my c5 parts together and someone bought them, much cheaper than $73 however.

dude with the $75 is hoping, but it is supposed to be NOS... used ones come up... I just nabbed one myself for my C project saw. it seems worth the trouble to take a chance on the used ones where one can get 3 or 4 of them for this guys' one.

Well I have transplanted another motor into the super 2. Now I have no spark. It's a points ignition and I have no clue on these. Same flywheel, coil, points as previous engine. Tried a know working plug. Where do I go from here?.

Just pull the flywheel and clean them. Use thin strips of paper. I also have a Super 2 that I just fixed that had points, and a newer electronic one. Nice saws if they run right.

Just pull the flywheel and clean them. Use thin strips of paper. I also have a Super 2 that I just fixed that had points, and a newer electronic one. Nice saws if they run right.

Just paper? Not sand paper? What's points gap supposed to be set to?

Any of you have info on this saw? I can't seem to find anything.

w130.jpg

That's a VI-130. V I (Which looked like 'W' on the cover) stands for Vibration Isolation (Anti Vibe). Acres doesn't list this saw. Since an XL-130 appears to be a Canada only saw (and your saw has a chainbrake) I'll bet your VI-130 was unique to the Canuck market. Does it have the black/silver UT/SN tag? My guess is that it will say "Terry" instead of "Textron". Cool saw. Most of that saw will be just like an XL-130. I may have an IPL for the VI versions...........I'll have to check. If I have one I'll ask you for your email so I can send it to you.

Edit:

I don't have that IPL............but I believe I know where to find it. There's a guy on the House of Homelite Thread that most likely has it. Off to check his list now. BRB.....

2nd Edit:

It wasn't in his IPL list. I did find some posts where folks were talking about their VI-130 saws, so they're out there. Does indeed seem to be a VI version of an XL-130. An XL-130 and VI-123 IPL would cover every part number (if you can't find a VI-130 IPL). Post up in the "Beg for manuals" thread in the stickies section. Somebody may have that IPL (or at least the XL-130 and VI-123 IPL's).

Last edited:
Back