Homelite Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
attachment.php

That's one helluva clutch cover. Much as I like to keep my saws original, that cover may just have to go.

Chris B.

Cool find.

First SXL I have seen with a chainbrake(?).

That's one helluva clutch cover. Much as I like to keep my saws original, that cover may just have to go.

Chris B.

Yep, that's a chain brake. Works pretty well too. Chain brakes were required in Canada before the US. Quite a few Poulans up here as well with chain brakes that you don't often see in the States. It is one ugly cover. I guess the design guy was on vacation that month or "Woops, we forgot boss" and he said get one by Monday.

I've been watching this one for a while. Great saw. Fired right up. Oils well, piston is clean and compression is 145 lbs. Just needs a sprocket. It's in T. Eaton Co. colors, Duramark brand. What do you guys use to "renew" the plastic AF cover or am I looking at Krylon paint?

Thanks

Tim

258229d1350766708-dscf6944-jpg
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

http://www.arboristsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=258229&d=1350766708

If you find out let us know. Paint isn't the best answer, you have to get the white off it first. I think I'll try something like Armor All.

If you find out let us know. Paint isn't the best answer, you have to get the white off it first. I think I'll try something like Armor All.

Depends on what the "white" is. I'd try some wet sanding with mega-fine grit paper to see if that gets under it. If it does, I'd just go with a Krylon Clear Coat in your choice of gloss. Otherwise, tranny fluid rubbed in real well may mask what appears to be oxidation of some kind...probably due to an ill-advised caustic cleanser attempt at cleaning it in the first place.

Hell, doesn't look all that bad to me as it is!

:cheers:

In Need of Serious Help

Now THIS is bad.:laugh:

Any of you guys a shrink in your day job? If so, please shoot me a PM...or just shoot me.

And I actually drove three hours round trip for these and a box of additional goodies and chains and grease and bags of more greasy stuff...

:help:

attachment.php

Pictures of a box of additional goodies and chains and grease and more greasy stuff available on request...

Yeah, I'm gettin' in deep...

Any of you guys a shrink in your day job? If so, please shoot me a PM...or just shoot me.

And I actually drove three hours round trip for these and a box of additional goodies and chains and grease and bags of more greasy stuff...

attachment.php

Pictures of a box of additional goodies and chains and grease and more greasy stuff available on request...

I only have one saw like those, runs good, but I have no idea what to do with it!

Depends on what the "white" is. I'd try some wet sanding with mega-fine grit paper to see if that gets under it. If it does, I'd just go with a Krylon Clear Coat in your choice of gloss. Otherwise, tranny fluid rubbed in real well may mask what appears to be oxidation of some kind...probably due to an ill-advised caustic cleanser attempt at cleaning it in the first place.

Hell, doesn't look all that bad to me as it is!

:cheers:

I think you hit on it when you mentioned the cleanser, I never had that happen to one until I put the Simple Green to it. I've tried sanding it and painting over it but the white comes back. It might be humidity the way it acts. I never tried using the hair drier on it but that's another possibility. I know one thing, that white stuff won't wash off.

I've been watching this one for a while. Great saw. Fired right up. Oils well, piston is clean and compression is 145 lbs. Just needs a sprocket. It's in T. Eaton Co. colors, Duramark brand. What do you guys use to "renew" the plastic AF cover or am I looking at Krylon paint?

Thanks

Tim

258229d1350766708-dscf6944-jpg
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

http://www.arboristsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=258229&d=1350766708
That is really cool. But you guys are right...that clutch cover has to go. I would get a regular SXL cover and spray paint it black.

attachment.php

I have done the same for older more useless and fewer saws.

attachment.php

You do know that a fellow only needs one C5, right? :msp_ohmy: (this is from a fellow who has two and don't cut or burn wood)

You do know that a fellow only needs one C5, right? :msp_ohmy: (this is from a fellow who has two and don't cut or burn wood)

Don't you actaully mean only one...

...more?:laugh:

Looks like there's only one actual C5, two C51's, a C52, and the C7 if the air filter covers are any indication. Guess I'll hafta figure out the small differences in the 5's. Doesn't seem like there's very much.

Homelite hardnose bar Serial number(!?) 10248734 is worn out in the groove. New 62 dl of .404 x .062 guage loop. Cut a ways and it curves left and binds/stalls the saw.

Like to find a good one as it would be less trouble.

Dug up a bar for you Carl. Looks like 62DL of .404-.063G are a perfect match. Bottom groove measures around .069", while the top groove is less worn at around .066". Yours if you want it.

photobucket-11790-1350782741875.jpg

photobucket-6070-1350782739145.jpg

photobucket-18860-1350782740762.jpg

photobucket-3225-1350782739676.jpg

photobucket-2831-1350782744025.jpg

photobucket-3540-1350782738580.jpg

Hey guys, I was wondering if you guys could tell me what crankshafts will interchange with a Homelite Old Blue. I have one a guy dropped off that sheared when a coil bolt fell out and got caught in the flywheel. Snapped it right off. Shame to because the saw is almost in mint condition.

Homelite XL Automatic

With a lot of help with parts fron Diggers_Dad I got the saw running. Starts and idles great but it pours oil out like a wildman. I know it operates from crankcase pressure built up in the oil tank however w/o removing or loosening oil cap I don't see how to release the pressure. Don't think I gave the correct parts on the pickup line as I believe there should be some kind of checkvalve or something on the line. Any ideas?
Bob

With a lot of help with parts fron Diggers_Dad I got the saw running. Starts and idles great but it pours oil out like a wildman. I know it operates from crankcase pressure built up in the oil tank however w/o removing or loosening oil cap I don't see how to release the pressure. Don't think I gave the correct parts on the pickup line as I believe there should be some kind of checkvalve or something on the line. Any ideas?
Bob

I don't know a ton about Homelites, but I do believe pretty positively that there is a check valve.

Latest posts

Back