Homelite Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Okay, I haven't measure to check interference, but the bearing to crankcase is definitely an interference fit. It seems like it is the same scenario as more modern saws, which I haven't seen this setup. Not trying to say that the engineers didn't know what they were doing, but I know there has been a learning curve (650 with two needle roller bearing, belt drives with needle bearing on the FW side and ball bearing on pto side, for examples). In the end, I have crossed all of the bearings in all models of big homelites to modern part numbers- except one- the 750 pto bearing. That Torrington DD series bearing is unique it seems
Yup, like wearing a belt and suspenders.[emoji57]

I can help you out, i have an original, it just needs to be scanned.
Give me a few days, busy time of year.
Merry Christmas
Justin

Wow, sawnami on House of Homelite mentioned you might be willing to send a copy of the Homelite 23650 catalog. It would be much appreciated. I am sure it would be put to good use. Thanks for all the help you offer to others.
Dan

Hey y'all get this ol' Xl-98 off of ebay a couple weeks ago for $73 View attachment 473257View attachment 473258I looked her over and lightly cleaned didn't see anything wrong with the fuel lines or carb so I put gas in the tank primed it and she was off although I haven't gotten the carb dialed in it has the governed carb:rare2: cylinder is a little ruff but it runs good other than the carb needing to be adjusted.

I just looked a little closer at that 98. I have never seen a wood carbide blade on one of those and sit here shaking my head.... Looks like an accident waiting to happen. Maybe that's why the guy sold it on ebay - probable lost a couple things that were supposed to be attached and could not run the saw anymore.

Up until now, I have not seen carbide cut off saw blades with 60 teeth. The ones I have see have had 24 teeth or less. I think you are right though. If you look at regular carbide blades all of the gullets between teeth seem to have a backwards "hook". The blade on the xl98 looks like it has uniform "u" shaped gullets. After quite a while searching I was able to fine one manufacture that make a rescue blades that looks similar. Unifire
th

Hi fellows,

Picked up a lay away. '73 XL-Automatic. Cleaned up the ignition, fuel system and carburetor. Runs well. Would like to swap the seals for good measure.

Spur is toast. A59553-1T is stamped on the drum. I don't know much here and I need some help narrowing down an appropriate rim assembly. The crank is 3/8" and is fitted with a race at 0.500" OD. Current drum has an integral bearing. Drum ID diameter is approx. 3.100". The only hit I get with the Oregon selector is for a 30666x at 5/8" crank. That won't work unless I tracked down a different race I gather.

A 37990 is listed exclusively for an (early?) XL-12 with a 0.500" crank. It might work if the clutches were the same size on these?

I don't have any older numbers or other brands that might fit up. Just hoping someone here might be able to advise.

Thanks guys.

Hi fellows,

Picked up a lay away. '73 XL-Automatic. Cleaned up the ignition, fuel system and carburetor. Runs well. Would like to swap the seals for good measure.

Spur is toast. A59553-1T is stamped on the drum. I don't know much here and I need some help narrowing down an appropriate rim assembly. The crank is 3/8" and is fitted with a race at 0.500" OD. Current drum has an integral bearing. Drum ID diameter is approx. 3.100". The only hit I get with the Oregon selector is for a 30666x at 5/8" crank. That won't work unless I tracked down a different race I gather.

A 37990 is listed exclusively for an (early?) XL-12 with a 0.500" crank. It might work if the clutches were the same size on these?

I don't have any older numbers or other brands that might fit up. Just hoping someone here might be able to advise.

Thanks guys.

Cory,

Did you check the sprocket on you XL-1 to see if that fits?

Cory,

Did you check the sprocket on you XL-1 to see if that fits?
Those sprockets are for the smaller 2 5/8" clutch. Same as on the XL-76's. I will go and dig out the spur that was on the 902. IIRC it was an 8-pin spur. My hunch is there are likely a few drums that would mount provided I could get the correct combination of race(s) to 5/8". Maybe some of the 9xx series or sxlao? I also compared to a 130 clutch and drum on hand. It is different than both the Automatic and 76's. Different race as well.

Interesting that not one of my Homelites has ever come with rim set-up. I just picked up a 30672 so I can have at least one of the 76's running in style.

I now have a complete 410 top end. Finally pieced it all together. One more piston to figure out. It measures 50 mm or 2" thin ring and is taller then the 410
fa88471f128aaa7c71d2097af9d852c9.jpg
it is the one on the left. 450?

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk

Those sprockets are for the smaller 2 5/8" clutch. Same as on the XL-76's. I will go and dig out the spur that was on the 902. IIRC it was an 8-pin spur. My hunch is there are likely a few drums that would mount provided I could get the correct combination of race(s) to 5/8". Maybe some of the 9xx series or sxlao? I also compared to a 130 clutch and drum on hand. It is different than both the Automatic and 76's. Different race as well.

Interesting that not one of my Homelites has ever come with rim set-up. I just picked up a 30672 so I can have at least one of the 76's running in style.
Bronze bushings from the hardware store can solve sprocket/rim drive drum problems.

https://www.jackssmallengines.com/Products/HOMELITE/Sprockets/Spur-Sprockets
I see one that is 3.1" and 5/8 " combination
The hardware store does carry quite an assortment of bronze bushings. Good to have on hand.

DSCF2616.JPG

Do you have the little top handle or or the larger one like this? I could check it and get the PN off the sprocket and maybe you could cross reference that. All mine have spurs on them.

DSCF2616.JPG

Thanks Tim. I can't say for certain where the XL-Automatic fits into the general series. Mine is the Christmas tree version. Same as the SXLAO? Current bushing on the 3/8" crank takes it out to 1/2". Could swap out bushing or stack another to take it to 5/8".

Just found that old Oregon sprocket reference you sent my way. Looks like there are some options there.

Thanks Tim. I can't say for certain where the XL-Automatic fits into the general series. Mine is the Christmas tree version. Same as the SXLAO? Current bushing on the 3/8" crank takes it out to 1/2". Could swap out bushing or stack another to take it to 5/8".

Just found that old Oregon sprocket reference you sent my way. Looks like there are some options there.

I have the Christmas tree version as well. They are all the same as the SXLAO. Pyramid reed set up and 58 cc or so.

I will try to take a look Saturday as I will be tied up all day tomorrow. If we can find the later spur number maybe we can cross reference the rim drum.

Back