Homelite Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyone have a good reed cage and reeds for a Homelite 1050/1130G? No matter what I do, I can't get my reeds to seal. I put the 1130G back together with the parts from the 1050, and now it's doing the same thing the 1050 was with this cage and carb, with no throttle response and running lean. If I partially choke it, it's fine. I'm also getting spitback through the carb. I've been through the carb multiple times and don't think it's the problem. I think it's just that the reeds aren't sealing, thus not getting a good impulse signal. BTW, the carb is a Tilly HL222.

Well just got this old thing running today. It must be an older one with wick fuel filter/line in the gas tank and the weird plug/wire combo. Ive heard of the plug wire with a stud in it but this is the first Ive run into. Luckily it had spark and all I needed was to swap carbs with a sxl. It needs a good cleaning.
IMG_20101231_224151.jpg

That is an older XL, you can tell by the lettering in the starter cover, its all black. I had a really nice one I sold awhile ago and wished I hadn't. But like mentioned they are easily obtained if your just looking for that model. The all black lettering is fairly rare. I've torn down a few with the cotton wick.

Nice saw!!

Randy

Let me look tonight Brad. I have a 1050 parts saw with the majority of the stuff on it. Broken rear handle but has 160lbs compression and I believe it has the intake in-tact.

Randy

That would be great. No way am I pulling parts back off the 1050 after getting it running right. If nothing else, having these would allow me to swap parts for trouble shooting. The saw has great compression, no air leaks, cleaned and gapped points, and good spark. About all that leaves is the reed cage/reeds and carb.

That is an older XL, you can tell by the lettering in the starter cover, its all black. I had a really nice one I sold awhile ago and wished I hadn't. But like mentioned they are easily obtained if your just looking for that model. The all black lettering is fairly rare. I've torn down a few with the cotton wick.

Nice saw!!

Randy

Thanks! Yeah Ive seen many versions of the xl12's and usually dont get too excited about them but this one seemed alittle different.

Brad, the reed cage appears to be in excellent shape. All the reeds are closed with no gaps and appear to be sealed, the cage just needs cleaned up and of course you will need the gaskets. Shoot me a PM and I'll send it on it's way.

Randy

What kinda condition is the rest of the 1050 in?

It's in bad shape, top handle missing, rear handle broken, intake smashed, no filter cover, case broken, fuel tank broken. The only things good...P/C are at 160psi, carb is low speed adjustable only, starter cover, assume everything under the starter cover is good, everything under the clutch cover is good, muffler is good but the cover is gone. Oil tank looks to be good, great parts saw, would take a lot to restore it. Oh and 1 side of dawgs is there.

A buddy picked up this Wiz for me a couple weeks ago. Finally got some time to give it a go. Before

166989d1294100170-100_4266-2-jpg

166990d1294100171-100_4263-2-jpg

166991d1294100174-100_4265-2-jpg

Last edited:
Well..... had a whole description of the saw and clean up written out but it did not make it through. Also, I must be doing something wrong in the pic department as I have to post then edit due to no access to the url in the "respond area"

Try the pics again and maybe a vid after that if I don't get mad.

166999d1294101409-100_4326-2-jpg

167000d1294101409-100_4328-2-jpg

167001d1294101409-100_4327-2-jpg

Last edited:
vid maybe

First run. Still some bugs to work out.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/rBNnFq4Yoik?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/rBNnFq4Yoik?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

YouTube - Homelite Wiz

Xl-12

Well just got this old thing running today. It must be an older one with wick fuel filter/line in the gas tank and the weird plug/wire combo. Ive heard of the plug wire with a stud in it but this is the first Ive run into. Luckily it had spark and all I needed was to swap carbs with a sxl. It needs a good cleaning.
IMG_20101231_224151.jpg

This looks like one of the very early XL-12's. What is the serial number? Is it 2680246? We got 47 of the very first order of XL-12's in Oct. 1963. All the serial numbers began with 150----. I am wondering if there are any with an older number. One bad feature was the wick in the gas tank that soon filled up and had to be replaced with the side of the tank that had a hole in top with a grommet for the line to go thru and a filter attached. The other problem with most of these starters that had the little round thing on the outside. The shaft on the starter would break off. They corrected that and we never had any trouble with the later models.
chainsawlady

This looks like one of the very early XL-12's. What is the serial number? Is it 2680246? We got 47 of the very first order of XL-12's in Oct. 1963. All the serial numbers began with 150----. I am wondering if there are any with an older number. One bad feature was the wick in the gas tank that soon filled up and had to be replaced with the side of the tank that had a hole in top with a grommet for the line to go thru and a filter attached. The other problem with most of these starters that had the little round thing on the outside. The shaft on the starter would break off. They corrected that and we never had any trouble with the later models.
chainsawlady

Yeah when i got this one it had a cable for the starter "rope" I put rope in there instead. The serial on it was 1574504.

I was cruising CL and found someone selling a Homelite Super 10. I could not find any reference to a Super 10, was wondering if anyone has heard of it or if some numbers are missing like super 1050. I emailed the guy to have him give me a call but thought I should check here, maybe I'm missing something. Price is $50.

There is a super xp 1020, a super 1050, and a super xp 1050 listed, waiting for the guy to call me, If it is a 1020 or 1050 for $50 I may pick it up so I can join the 100cc club.

Super 10

I was cruising CL and found someone selling a Homelite Super 10. I could not find any reference to a Super 10, was wondering if anyone has heard of it or if some numbers are missing like super 1050. I emailed the guy to have him give me a call but thought I should check here, maybe I'm missing something. Price is $50.

homelitejim
Never have heard of Homelite Super 10. Surely was a misprint
chain saw lady

Latest posts

Back