Homelite (old) saw?!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Think that is a XL - 12 model. Here is the link to Mr. Acres site with some specs on it. That saw looks like it has been in a damp place from the pitting on the casting. Nice saws in their day, just vibrate the living he!! out of your hands after a few hours. This would probably get a few more responses in the chain saw forums.

http://www.acresinternet.com/cscc.n...a17d735d551f0f1e88256b78005f6a7b?OpenDocument

Last edited:
Yes it is an XL-12.Used one many a day growing up cutting firewood. A super tough old saw in it's day. It appears to have two of the seperate colors the saw was offered in on each side. I used the"Ol Blue" XL and the red SXL as a teenager. There was also a Super XL-12 offered in a 3.5 cubic inch model but this appears to be the Ol Blue XL-12.

Quite a few parts on E-Bay. search for 'homelite xl'. There is an XL-12 piston and jug on there today.

Probably a very early xl-12, notice the oil fill at the bottom rear of the saw. Later models had it mounted on the top near the front of the saw next to the handle.

if ya need parts for any homelite super 2s,xls,925s,and even the prehistoric super whiz(hated that saw, loud earringing & heavy) email me and ill get ya a phone# to a guy out of newcastle pa, good & reasonable. OLDSAW, is right though can buy these saws cheap. hell i even got one, keepin it to remind me of how much the antivibration on the new saws is heaven sent. take care be safe DOUG,LXT..............

XL-12,oh somebody all ready said that.Built like a battleship.In these parts,it was one of those,or a McCulloch 250,back in the day.Ah,I remember them well.

Parts?! At least this one has something close to a muffler, you need a recoil cover screw but you rope is where it should be anyway, man look at all the chain you got there yet. Air filter, fuel filter, recoil spring and carb kit (tilotson Hs most likely) is available after market. On this thing if it has compression, spark, and some fuel line that doesn't look like a bag of licorace forgotten on the dash it should go. Really disturbing how these old hogs will come back to life.

Xl-12

I have one of these, in pretty good shape, the "Old Blue" with the oil fill on the bottom like yours. As a matter of coincidence I just got it out of the shed last week and fired it up. I need something to pull a 24" bar for just one tree, and my MS-260 just aint up to the chore.

This XL-12 feels really strong, and it is pulling 81 links of chain on an old bow easily. Anybody got an idea how big a bar it COULD handle for just a few cuts, if I put a new bar on it? The local shop has a 24 hard nose that would fit it. I know they used to come with a 20", would 4 more inches slow it down too bad? $75 for the new bar, but this saw is in good enough shape I think it might be worth it. Got sentimental value anyway, it was my Dad's saw and I'ld like to be able to use it.

I also have a good strong Homelite 330 with a 20" bar that I use quite a bit. Do you think it would pull the 24" bar?

MANGE
My HOMELITE records do not have any 'Economy' XL12....Perhaps it could be a Canadian or international version. There is not much you could 'cut out' to economize a XL12.
FIREAXMAN
The XL12 was available with bars 16,20,24 & 14" Bows

Back