Homelite question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lawn Masters

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I've really got to ask this one. WHY is the nut that holds the sprocket in place on the XL12 a normal thread? it comes off in a counterclockwise direction, just like what the one from a 330 I worked on did. it seems this would loosen up over time while cutting instead of tightening. what was the logic behind it?

Interesting, could it be that the torque required to hold it on is sufficient for it not to loosen? Just a early morning guess here, I really have no idea but it sounds like Lock-Tite or something similar would be a must, as would getting that sucker on good and tight. Is this an exclusive thing to the Homelites or are there other saws where this is applicable too?

I dont know if its exclusive to Homelite, I just remembered I encountered the same nut on my 7-19 too. weird isnt it?

its entirely possible that this is something seen on other brands too, I just havent seen it.

Yup it sure is, and for an amature mechanic like me a good thing to know and keep in mind when dealing with sprokets etc.. Pretty frustrating snapping things because of it, my first experience years ago with a weedwhacker head held on with a bolt btw *hangs head*. Hence I've always thought that left-hand threads should be appropriately marked for dummies like me, so I'll tag 'em when I can with my dremmel.

:cheers:

This is done so the nut is tightened when the trottle is applied, if it were coming loose.

If it had a standard thread then it would want to walk off under acceleration.

Old Mopars had the lug nuts on one side of the car LHT. much amusement could be had watching someone remove the tires if they didnt know this.:laugh:

RaisedByWolves said:
This is done so the nut is tightened when the trottle is applied, if it were coming loose.
You missed something here. I said it comes off OPPOSITE of normal clutch nuts. applying the throttle on this would loosen the nut if it werent tight to begin with not tighten it.

I can't answer your question, but when you think about all the XL12s that are still around cutting wood, you know the Homelite engineers knew what they were doing.

Lawn Masters said:
You missed something here. I said it comes off OPPOSITE of normal clutch nuts. applying the throttle on this would loosen the nut if it werent tight to begin with not tighten it.

My bad.

I must have misread Oppisite of normal nuts.

Its still funny towatch ppl work on old Mopars though.:biggrinbounce2:

Lawn Masters said:
I've really got to ask this one. WHY is the nut that holds the sprocket in place on the XL12 a normal thread? it comes off in a counterclockwise direction, just like what the one from a 330 I worked on did. it seems this would loosen up over time while cutting instead of tightening. what was the logic behind it?

Interesting, both my Super XL and my 150 are "right" rather than "backwards". Competing engineers?

Mark

my super xl has a lockwasher under the nut, so idk if that is a sufficient means to prevent loosining?

Mopar nuts

RaisedByWolves said:
My bad.

I must have misread Oppisite of normal nuts.

Its still funny towatch ppl work on old Mopars though.:biggrinbounce2:

The nuts had an "L" stamped on them if they were left handed thread on the Mopars.

Latest posts

Back