homelite super 2 SL , good ? and XL vs SL ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

herbeapuce

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi. this person is asking $100 CAD for his saw. it looks really good with all the original stickers still on it. not much use of the bar. first is this a good saw ? and plz what is the difference between the SL and the XL ? thank you
Stef.chainsaw1.jpgchainsaw2.jpg

Welcome... my opinion only!!! For 100 bux, you should get at least 4 of them!!!! nice cutting little saw, but a PIA to work on,,, I just went thru one my buddy had on a shelf for a while,,, carb kit, fuel/oil lines, filters, bar/chain,, and a new bar stud (which was a bear to remove)....The engine has to come out of the plastic case to work on em,,,

It's one of the few saws I know that requires taking the case apart in order to replace the drive sprocket or the ignition module. However, once you get used to that, it's not a bad saw. Parts for them are getting a bit scarce. One of my friends bought four of them at an estate auction for $50 apiece. Then he hired me to restore them. One owner had simply filled the fuel tank with bar oil and the bar oil tank with fuel. Two of them needed a new sprocket, and one needed a new ignition module. All needed a clean up and new chain loops.

When I was through, all of them ran fine. I must admit I was a bit surprised. After all these years the engines still had good compression.

That looks like the one I have on a shelf that I will never bother to get running . I don't know why I even keep it around. If your saw is the same it is a newer version of the Super 2 /XL only without the dual triggers. I don't know what the exchange rate is but if that were $100 US it is way to much money . I don't think I have ever seen one that was for sale bring more that $25 US.

Personally I would pass . Like has been mentioned they are a pain to work on . The older ones aren't as bad to work on compared to the newer version.
That is one saw I just avoid when I see them at auctions or yard sales . Sorry for being so critical. Those saws do have a following of hard core users I am just not one of them.

yeah there's a few older Homelite saws like that always on craisglist in the $15-30 (USD) range, some of them look nice too like they were just put away and forgotten about

Latest posts

Back