Homelite Super EZ Auto piston Pics

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dougandmel

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi, here are a few pics of the piston form my Homelite super ez auto( model UT 10580A). The saw starts and runs well, but I think the piston is pretty scratched up. What do you think? Is this real bad, or is it ok for a saw this old? If it's really bad, are a replacement piston and cylinder still available still for it?

I just tore down my Super XL 12 Auto. The piston in it looked the same way. I posted pics here and was told to clean it up good with a buffing wheel and run it. I would take it on apart and polish up the piston and look at the cylinder real good...it will most likely have some aluminum transfer. Clean it up as well. In your last pic right at the edge of the port is a pretty good score...that's the one to worry about. Most of the guys on this site have forgotten more about saws than I will likely ever know...so you are in the right place...welcome to AS.

Hi, here are a few pics of the piston form my Homelite super ez auto( model UT 10580A). The saw starts and runs well, but I think the piston is pretty scratched up. What do you think? Is this real bad, or is it ok for a saw this old? If it's really bad, are a replacement piston and cylinder still available still for it?

I've used them a lot worse than that one. If you have it apart you could clean it up a little. If you don't and the engine has compression use it as is. I would use a little more oil in the mix and maybe change to synthetic oil.

I have one that looks at least that bad and it works fine. If it starts good and runs ok, don't worry about it. You do see parts here and there from time to time, but I wouldn't bother.

Use it !! Old homelites are fun! They sound fantastic !

I'm currently using Homelite Exact Mix 2 cycle oil (which is a semi-synthetic oil) at 32:1 as per the owner's manual. I haven't checked the compression with a compression tester because to get my tester to thread into the cylinder, I'd have to tear the motor out of the saw (the lower rear handle prevents tester from threading into the spark plug hole). I don't really want to tear everything apart because the saw runs well. I had the muffler apart to clean the spark screen, and noticed that the piston seemed scratched up. Judging by the reaction so far, it isn't all that bad, so I guess I'll just keep running it as is.

Latest posts

Back