Homelite SUPER EZ XL-1 CDI ignition conversion????

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

international

Reaction score
Hello ALL : I've been trying to do some research into CDI ignition conversion on older chainsaws and It's clear as mud to me. From what I gather some older model Homelite saws were equipped with electronic ignition . These saws had different coils????? MY specific question is directed at Homelites SUPER ez and XL-1 model . I've seen cdi ignition modules specifically targeted for these saws for sale on E_BAY. Would this be a drop in replacement or are they selling aftermarket parts? Did Homelite ever equip the SUPER EZ or the XL-1 with electronic ignition? COULD I buy these parts from e-bay and change out the point and condenser ignition system on my older Homelite saws? Do I perhaps need a different ignition coil? IS it possible to do this conversion?????? I have 4 of these old guys and I still use them all. If it's possible and not a huge hassel I'd really like to convert my saws. I think I would like to try one first see if it works out OK for me, but I don't want to waste money needlessly. Maybe someone here has tried or done this and could advise if it's a worthwhile endeavor or else just leave well enough alone?? Thanks for your time and patience.

Hello ALL : I've been trying to do some research into CDI ignition conversion on older chainsaws and It's clear as mud to me. From what I gather some older model Homelite saws were equipped with electronic ignition . These saws had different coils????? MY specific question is directed at Homelites SUPER ez and XL-1 model . I've seen cdi ignition modules specifically targeted for these saws for sale on E_BAY. Would this be a drop in replacement or are they selling aftermarket parts? Did Homelite ever equip the SUPER EZ or the XL-1 with electronic ignition? COULD I buy these parts from e-bay and change out the point and condenser ignition system on my older Homelite saws? Do I perhaps need a different ignition coil? IS it possible to do this conversion?????? I have 4 of these old guys and I still use them all. If it's possible and not a huge hassel I'd really like to convert my saws. I think I would like to try one first see if it works out OK for me, but I don't want to waste money needlessly. Maybe someone here has tried or done this and could advise if it's a worthwhile endeavor or else just leave well enough alone?? Thanks for your time and patience.
You still with us?

On the EZ ignitions, one has to be careful. There were 2 different electronic coils and 2 different flywheels, WITH THE SAME PART NUMBERS!!!! So ordering a new coil, you had no idea if it was for which flywheel, or know which coil you were ordering!!!

I have a Super EZ that doesn't have any spark (dreaded blue coil) and was wondering if I could swap out the coil from a Super 2 to use in it. I have a few flywheels from different EZ models and am going to compare them to see if any are from the Phelon ignition. It has a Prestolite on it now I believe..

I have a Super EZ that doesn't have any spark (dreaded blue coil) and was wondering if I could swap out the coil from a Super 2 to use in it. I have a few flywheels from different EZ models and am going to compare them to see if any are from the Phelon ignition. It has a Prestolite on it now I believe..
Probably no. The Super 2 modules were made by Phelon. Phelon systems use a opposite magnetic charge then Wico/Prestolite. All Super EZ’s with electronic ignition used a Wico/Prestolite module. Brand new replacements are available.

Right now I have a Prestolite module (bad) and flywheel. I should look for a Phelon flywheel to go with a Phelon module? I'll do that repel test today, I have three extra flywheels but didn't look at the brand name.
You would need a Phelon flywheel that came from a points ignition to use a Phelon module.

Another member here successfully used a Husqvarna module on a XL76 I believe, it’s somewhere in the Homelite sticky, so that is another possibly if you like to experiment.

My saw used to run just fine last Spring. I stored it until now and decided to sell it but I couldn't get it to start. I know it has the right combination of parts but the module went bad. I checked the kill switch and all that and did everything except heating the module so I may try that next. I checked my spare parts but didn't have a module or coil that would fit it.

You would need a Phelon flywheel that came from a points ignition to use a Phelon module.

Another member here successfully used a Husqvarna module on a XL76 I believe, it’s somewhere in the Homelite sticky, so that is another possibly if you like to experiment.
I have the flywheel of both vendors. What I didn't find was a module but I think I know someone who has one..

I tried the Super 2 coils and although the bolt holes matched the module couldn't make the necessary clearance so I abandoned that idea. However, remembering something undee70ss wrote about heating the module I laid my trouble light on a piece of flat metal and hung the module directly over it about an inch away for a couple of hours then put it back in the saw and it made a really decent spark! I fired it up and ran it for awhile to warm the coil up a bit more then shut it off. So I guess that one is fixed for now. Thanks for the replies..

Through trial and error, I came up with the Husky coil being a viable replacement for the blue prestolites on the xl-76/130 and xl-1/super mini. You need to make a bracket/tab to help with the mounting. It isn't too difficult. Other members have had success using them on some Pioneer saws as well. The coil is common to 61/272/ etc. Good spark and the timing/ flywheel shouldn't need to be adjusted.

I've had limited success with the baking method as a long-term remedy.

The outcome that has proved best in terms of longevity /reliability on an EZ I owned was to scrap points/condenser & fit new points coil & Nova 2 chip I ran it for over 2 years, & moved it on ,& some similar time frame it's still a goer

Back