Homelite Super XL like new!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UrbanLogger

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Does anyone know anything about the Homelite Super XL. I was driving home from work and happened to see this saw, along with a Homelite Super EZ for sale in this little old mans front yard. I asked him what he had to have for the saw, and he replied $125. This saw looks like it just came out of the box, basically new. I pulled it over once with the choke on, and it poped, another pull with no choke and I had a running saw in my hand. Does this seem like a fair price...? The power head seems to be the same as my XL12, maybe a bit heavier? I know it uses the same 32:1 fuel mix, most likely just a larger engine...? The model I have is a Super XL Automatic (model #10045B). I looked on the chain saw collectors corner site, but the closest saw i could find is a model #10045C. Anyway I was just wondering if anyone knows anymore about this saw.

Thanks for the help.

UrbanLogger said:
Does anyone know anything about the Homelite Super XL. I was driving home from work and happened to see this saw, along with a Homelite Super EZ for sale in this little old mans front yard. I asked him what he had to have for the saw, and he replied $125. This saw looks like it just came out of the box, basically new. I pulled it over once with the choke on, and it poped, another pull with no choke and I had a running saw in my hand. Does this seem like a fair price...? The power head seems to be the same as my XL12, maybe a bit heavier? I know it uses the same 32:1 fuel mix, most likely just a larger engine...? The model I have is a Super XL Automatic (model #10045B). I looked on the chain saw collectors corner site, but the closest saw i could find is a model #10045C. Anyway I was just wondering if anyone knows anymore about this saw.

Thanks for the help.

Looks like this one?

Very similar, the super xl logo on the side cover is slightly different, otherwise the same. The log on mine has a larger XL in the middle with a smaller Super above the xl, and it says automatic below the XL in the same size text as the word super.
it would look similar to this:

Super
XL
Automatic

also what does the automatic refer to? it has a manual bar oiler

Yep, automatic oiling.

Excellent saw I have one with 3/8 chisel on it and it cuts like its angry.:angry:

Their worth 125 in the condition you stated and will go for this much on Ebay in slightly beat up condition+shipping.

Oh yeah, It should be mentioned that this is the way this saw will start for about the next twenty years.

After this it will be broken in and will start on the first pull.:rock:

UrbanLogger said:
Very similar, the super xl logo on the side cover is slightly different, otherwise the same. The log on mine has a larger XL in the middle with a smaller Super above the xl, and it says automatic below the XL in the same size text as the word super.
it would look similar to this:

Super
XL
Automatic

also what does the automatic refer to? it has a manual bar oiler

It may have the manual plunger as a backup, for during hi stress cuts, but it has an automatic oiler built in.

I wish my manual oiler saws were just backup manual oilers, with standard automatic oilers...If there is one thing I really dont like, its having to tap that plunger mid cut!!!

But even worse than manual oilers, are the gear driven oilers like on the poulan saws, that pump even at idle, leaving you a nice puddle...

RaisedByWolves said:
Yep, automatic oiling.

Excellent saw I have one with 3/8 chisel on it and it cuts like its angry.:angry:

Their worth 125 in the condition you stated and will go for this much on Ebay in slightly beat up condition+shipping.

Oh yeah, It should be mentioned that this is the way this saw will start for about the next twenty years.

After this it will be broken in and will start on the first pull.:rock:

And after another 20 years it will become acustomed to you as a user, and start automatically when you pick it up:rock:

Gotta love those Homelites!!! If my collection just contained Macs and Homies, Id be completely satisfied!

so...basically this new aquasation of mine is pretty much well worth it, I'm happy to hear that it should be around for a while yet. Is their anyway for me to find out that year my saw is?

I love mine. Had it for 4-5 years now. It is a bit more displacement than the XL12, but other than that, pretty much the same thing. I've got a friend with an XL12 for reference. Mine didn't look brand new, but the guy I bought it from went from $40 to $20 real quick, chain was totally shot, but I'm still using the bar, which only looked shot. Quite a few hours on it since then. I think it was beer-thirty and the end of garage sale day.

That is a great saw. As reliable as they come, and a great size for an "all arounder". One of my all time favorites.

Mark

Latest posts

Back