Homelite Super XLAO & XL12 projects done!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

watsonr

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Wanted to say thanks to everyone who helped with adding info to my knowledge and assisted with parts. I've learned alot here by reading and looking at the photos. This is a great place to hang out!

Purchased these two for $20.00. The Xl-12 needed a new set of points, oiler plunger and a flywheel. Normal stuff was needed, fuel tank cleaned, felt fuel filter cleaning, carb kit and a few adjustments to the Hi/Low setting. I swapped in the quad reed cage from a newer parts saw and the torque is unbelievable now. Starter rope was toast as was the spring. She's got 125lbs of compression and rips for an old saw. With the straight stack on this you can really hear her 4-stroke out of the cut. The 16" bar is the original bar and the chain may be as well, paints just worn off. Overall in great shape, and is the saw I learned how to cut with when my father and I cut together (not this exact one but same model). I used to cuss him, but now that I'm older and he's gone, I realize he had CAD. We cut a 100 cord a year and never left the woods without a FULL load. He was a Homelite man and taught me everything, didn't realize it soon enough to appreciate it!
IMG00566.jpg
IMG00568.jpg

Second is the Super with Auto oiler. She was a little more involved, real dirty, points were toast, tank leaked fuel, bar and chain shot. Carb got a kit, molded fuel line replaced the old grommet type line, fuel filter, chain cover was in half and the starter was not working. Gave her a new 16" B & C and now she's a great runner too!
IMG00569.jpg
IMG00570.jpg
IMG00572.jpg

Both a little dirty as I was cutting some 24" white oak in the back. Had a Red Super XL I did at the same time, she's not a pretty saw but a good work saw I'll probably get rid of, she's wearing a wore out chain and 20" bar.
IMG00565.jpg

Almost forgot most important part, Picture of WOOD! and my 036PRO with BIG double dawgs. Chain cover's on so the WOOD isn't scared and it can't claim the kill.
IMG00520.jpg

The 036 is getting a Muff Mod today!

Enjoy,
Randy

Nice to see 2 oldies brought back to life.

My fingers still tingle and go numb when I see one..................

Sweet old saws, I got an old lombard awhile back, and thought it was a XL-12 at first. I like the looks of those saws, they have that futuristic look.

Nice Saws, Nice Rehab!

I happen to have one each of an xl-12 and Super XLAO too. I am the original owner of both of these saws. I bought the xl-12 in 1983 and the Super XLAO in 1987. I just do my basic maintenance and they both still run great. Never had a single issue with them. Yep, my hands tingle after running them, but they'll get the job done! Simple design, but very well made and durable saws.

Nice job on yours!

Wanted to say thanks to everyone who helped with adding info to my knowledge and assisted with parts. I've learned alot here by reading and looking at the photos. This is a great place to hang out!

Purchased these two for $20.00. The Xl-12 needed a new set of points, oiler plunger and a flywheel. Normal stuff was needed, fuel tank cleaned, felt fuel filter cleaning, carb kit and a few adjustments to the Hi/Low setting. I swapped in the quad reed cage from a newer parts saw and the torque is unbelievable now. Starter rope was toast as was the spring. She's got 125lbs of compression and rips for an old saw. With the straight stack on this you can really hear her 4-stroke out of the cut. The 16" bar is the original bar and the chain may be as well, paints just worn off. Overall in great shape, and is the saw I learned how to cut with when my father and I cut together (not this exact one but same model). I used to cuss him, but now that I'm older and he's gone, I realize he had CAD. We cut a 100 cord a year and never left the woods without a FULL load. He was a Homelite man and taught me everything, didn't realize it soon enough to appreciate it!
IMG00566.jpg
IMG00568.jpg

Second is the Super with Auto oiler. She was a little more involved, real dirty, points were toast, tank leaked fuel, bar and chain shot. Carb got a kit, molded fuel line replaced the old grommet type line, fuel filter, chain cover was in half and the starter was not working. Gave her a new 16" B & C and now she's a great runner too!
IMG00569.jpg
IMG00570.jpg
IMG00572.jpg

Both a little dirty as I was cutting some 24" white oak in the back. Had a Red Super XL I did at the same time, she's not a pretty saw but a good work saw I'll probably get rid of, she's wearing a wore out chain and 20" bar.
IMG00565.jpg

Almost forgot most important part, Picture of WOOD! and my 036PRO with BIG double dawgs. Chain cover's on so the WOOD isn't scared and it can't claim the kill.
IMG00520.jpg

Enjoy,
Randy
Hi there

IMG00566.jpg
IMG00568.jpg

IMG00569.jpg
IMG00570.jpg
IMG00572.jpg

IMG00565.jpg

IMG00520.jpg

Enjoy,
Randy
hi there. I was sondiranje iz YOU world have any parts? In particularly, the points for the XL.im in new zealand And can't GET any.

IMG00566.jpg
IMG00568.jpg

IMG00569.jpg
IMG00570.jpg
IMG00572.jpg

IMG00565.jpg

IMG00520.jpg

Enjoy,
Randy
I have t

I have the same HOMELITE xl12 I love the saw but must admit the STIHL MS260 IS MUCH LIGHTER TO USE. and my arms don't get tired . Only thing it uses much more bar oil than my old blue.

Back