Homelite XL-12 lack of acceleration

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nbrcrnchr

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I just bought an old XL-12, it needed a new fuel line and carb kit. I've got it running at idle but it doesn't want to accelerate. I may have to pull it back apart and run the carb cleaner through it again. I've adjusted the high and low 1 1/4 out and 1 3/4 out, and I've adjusted the diaphram lever according to the HS manual on Tillotsons website.

Any suggestions on what else may be wrong or what I'm missing. :confused:

Thanks

poor acceleration normally points to a setting on the low side being lean, inlet control lever too low, inlet needle sticking to valve, clogged air filter/ tank vent, diaphram gasket leaking or installed wrong, leak in fuel line, clogged fuel filter, or main jets clogged or dirty.

Since you installed a new kit, go over it and make sure everything is in its proper place. Change the fuel line and the filter.

Back both jets out 1 turn and work the low end from there (richer).

Does your saw have a single reed valve or a pyramidal reed valves?

When you pulled the carb did you also remove the insulator that goes between the carb box and the carb?

There are impulse channels that run through the gaskets and the insulator to the carb.

If these were removed and installed without the channels aligned this could be the issue you're having. Some of the gasket sets may appear to be correct but may in fact be reversed from what they need to be.

Which carb does your XL-12 have installed?

Some questions that may help you.

:cheers:

Last edited:
The xl-12s have the single reed valve assy. Repped ya for the pic of the Boxer dog, they are the best!

Heres a better picture of Sam.

attachment.php

True, most had a single reed valve.

I've got one with pyramidal (4) reed valves. One of the last lot of XL-12's produced at Port Chester.

:cheers:

Pyramid reeds were known for their monster torque, thats got to be fun on that XL-12!! I had no idea they put them on the xl-12s!

Check the diaphram on the needle side and make sure the gasket is between it and the carb body not on top of diaphram. Used 2 get saws in like that alot . I have done it a few times my self!! LOL

Sprintcar.....I have a XL-12....what serial #s have the pyramidal reed valves?

Thanks

Dan

That one's down in Missouri at my pa in laws along with his other three or four. The next time I'm down I'll take pics if all of them. That one is different than the rest, better throttle response. Can't really tell the difference on torque. The Pioneer 1110 still has more power IMO than the XL-12's.

Got it running although it is still idling a little high. Cuts so so, It'd bog down just as soon as I got it in the cut. I picked up a cylinder pressure gauge today and it's reading a hair over 90 PSI. :censored: Haven't decided if I'm going to try to fix it or not. She who must be obeyed doesn't like it because it doesn't have a hand guard and a chain brake.

The reading is on a cold engine

Last edited:
Back