Homemade Firewood Processor Deluxe

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice work! Kinda limited on the log size, though. Can you get it to double up on moving the log forward at the same time as splitting the round?
It is true I have cut Ø17"-Ø18" max so far. It really does cover 99% of the logs I see here. I have considered ways to speed up the process - I am going to upgrade the engine hp first. I have a 20hp Honda that will be installed shortly. Thanks for the suggestion - it is a good one!

I am now working on a sliding tray insert for the slab saw. I will have an update shortly. tray.jpg

Cool. But seems kinda slow for a processor

Hi Nick Kent:

Agreed. It is a major challenge to compete with any of the commercial versions, and still function with reliability and consistency.
My machine runs on two tanks of fuel per day right now. It is outstanding when compared to a chainsaw and logsplitter (for both efficiency and physical wear and tear) which is how I prepared my wood for years. So if this is as fast as I can get it then I am still very happy.
Thanks for watching.

TCS

The buzz saw setup is interesting. Any reason you used that versus a ~25" harvester bar?

It is true I have cut Ø17"-Ø18" max so far. It really does cover 99% of the logs I see here. I have considered ways to speed up the process - I am going to upgrade the engine hp first. I have a 20hp Honda that will be installed shortly. Thanks for the suggestion - it is a good one!

18" is a decent sized log. That's the max my processor will cut. I wouldn't mind being able to do about 24" though.

The buzz saw setup is interesting. Any reason you used that versus a ~25" harvester bar?

The original purpose of the processor was to replace a buzz saw I had for cutting slabs. I figured an automated slab saw could easily also have a firewood processor built into it. And the whole project was kicked off when I saw that circular blade on Ebay for $100. Just dont ask how much the rest of the thing cost to build!

1.jpg

I would say it is absolutely beautiful in design workmanship and execution. I do not have a clue how it could work in Southern California, but there are many areas that it could process beautifully. If it gets a few loads done in a day perfect. Use it until your welders wear out. Thanks

Not sure how I missed this when he first posted it. Guelph is only 1 1/2 hrs from me and I'm thru there every week or two. Nice looking processor and sized right for the ash trees that we have around here. Anything much bigger and it goes for lumber. He did go to a lot of work to make that size of blade work. A bigger blade would require a lot more horse power and fuel. A chain saw would need more sharpening and for personal use this would work great. I hate seeing videos like this because it's gets me thinking that I need to build one.

Put a saddled shroud over the slide and and piston and you will be good to go and double your speed. You could cut while the slide is moving forward and the saddle will dump the new round in the magazine when the push plate returns.

Capture+_2018-12-07-20-29-22.png Capture+_2018-12-07-20-31-58.png

Man, that's pretty cool, but, ah,does your wife know you took her screen door and one of the bedroom windows?? Seriously GREAT JOB, well done!!!!

Back