Honey locust, lower limbs dieing off

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mneagle

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have two mature honey locust trees on opposite sides of the house. I haven't done anything to the soil or any landscaping that would disturb the roots. On both trees the lower limbs and some in the middle of the trees are leaf bare and look dead. I noticed it last year but it's really noticeable this year.

Any ideas on what may be causing it and what I can do to stop it?

Would cutting it back help at all?

Last edited:
When the branch no longer supports the foliage 4 photosynthesis that branch become expendable. Could simply be a matter of too much shade.

The biggest problem I see, is in the 2nd photo the major bifurcation is threatening to fail (split). Equal subdivision is the way a growing tree determines the direction to the best light. In a forest, one side will do better and the other will rotate to a subordinant position. When the tree is tall enough that both sides do equally well, the plant begins to spread out. Lower limbs are quite small relative to the parent stem (trunk) and as they are shaded out and die, are easily shed.

In urban environs, we have altered the plan that is programmed into the tree. Limbs have more light, and develop sooner, larger, and do not shed as readily when they die. Hence, the arborist; adjusting for the differences in the city for the wild wood creature that is a tree. This tree has asked, "Am I tall enough to spread out yet?" and the answer was yes. The joint is having to hold 50% of the mass of the tree. Typical height spread bifurcations are holding 20% or less. Hence, bracing.

So, remove the deadwood to the collar, not flush, and get some proper bracing done. Do not use methods that tie or encircle the stem. Remember counting the rings to see how old a tree is? The expanding rings will strangle in a circling brace. Eyebolts and galvanized steel are the best long term braces, installed between 50% and 66% of the distance above the joint to the branch ends.

Honey locust dying branches

I have three honey locusts about 35 years old, about 14" dbh. On each many of the smaller lower and interior branches die, and eventually self prune with the wind and winter snow/ice. They seem healthy otherwise. Gene Gauss

There is nothing you can do to stop it. Good news it it is natural and perfectly healthy. As said before, too much shade. Isnt cost (sunlight) effective to keep the branch as it takes more to maintain than it brings in. So to speak.

Trees look good just need some dead wood trimming. Yeah, they will eventually fall off and 'self trim' but this rarely leaves a good break and could take many years for the tree to heal over. Best to simply trim it sooner so the tree can heal over. This also healps prevent internal decay. As said, cut to the collar and def not flush. Just do a search on proper trimming diagram and you will find one.

I have two mature honey locust trees on opposite sides of the house. I haven't done anything to the soil or any landscaping that would disturb the roots. On both trees the lower limbs and some in the middle of the trees are leaf bare and look dead. I noticed it last year but it's really noticeable this year.

Any ideas on what may be causing it and what I can do to stop it?

It's classic for honey locust. Every mature honey locust cuts off circulation to the the lower branches and shaded branches in the crown. THe wood is extremely rot resistant so they hold dead branches for a very long time so a wild or unpruned honey locust will carry plenty of dead stuff. It takes a long time before they'll self prune. The tree in your photos looks normal.
-moss

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back