hot blast stove question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zsteinmetz

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
My neighbor just bought a hot blast wood stove for his garage. It has two blowers on it with room to add two ducts onto it for air movement. It also has a port in the back and a coil in it which he could hook his hot water heat up to. This may sound stupid but can he just hook it up to his existing boiler in the basement and put in a circulating pump like my OWB or does some sort of heat exchanger have to be used. Any help greatly appreciated.

there might be alot more science involved there.

1. is his hot water heat zoned in the house now?

2. what will prevent the water in the pipes to the garage from freezing when just sitting there if the furnace isn't being used?

3. the house circulator must be on when buring wood so that the water won't sit there and boil (or worse)

4. is that furnce for an open or closed water system?

5. when the house boiler is running and not the wood one, that water will have to circulate into the boiler now, since it will all be connected as one.

Last edited:
That coil in the furnace isn't for heating the home, its used to heat the water, or to temper the water for the water heater. The furnace should only be used to heat with hot air. I have the same model, and they forced air heaters, not boilers. Also make sure if he hooks it into for the hot water, all saftey valves are installed. Better safe than sorry.

I think it's agianst code to install a wood stove in a garage? Insurance may not like it either?

Latest posts

Back