Hot saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bump_r

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Not to swipe any trade secrets or get into the game, but all the talk of this season's GTGs has got me thinking. In any motorsport, there are extremes. To what extremes can one take a full-on competition saw, besides the normal porting, carb, muffler, tuned pipes and such.

Specifically, I was thinking about cut times - what are they, in the seconds range depending on wood type and size, and was class (and operator and chain supplier, but that's another thread completely!) 4 ~ 10 seconds? In that short burst with subsequent rounds spaced apart for cooling, is there any benefit to forced air cooling "in the cut", or could one do away with the cooling fins on the jug? Would there be adequate benefit for removing weight, for change-ups, or ground-to-log travel, or balance? What about the fan on teh flywheel? Those have to induce a parasitic load on the saw. Could some itty-bitty bit of power be used to power the chain instead of pushing air? At least help the "spool-up" time? Is anyone at the extreme edge to the point of such miniscule "tricks" would be beneficial? What about swiss-cheezing the saw's "bodywork" or bar?

Again, don't reveal any secrets, don't consider me a threat in any fashion (as is painfully obvious by this post and others of mine, huh?) And don't flame, either - it's notlike this is a "Stihl/Husky - which is better" or "What oil mix should I use" or any typical askedahunnerttimesalready post.

On a production saw. The weight is not a real factor. Except the rotating ones.

Tough questions to answer and not get pounced on for your opinion. I have one saw where the fins are cut off the flywheel. It'll probably stay at one.

Fred

Mr. said:
A good chain matters so much more.

Fred

Absolutely, good equipment and practice are "givens" - I was looking over the edge a bit more. We all know the kind of guys that go so far with anything they do it gets creepy? THAT'S the stuff I was pondering. Amen to the pouncing - gets old sometimes. Not to say anything I mentioned has any merit whatsoever, just getting the ball rolling.

Back