Hotsaw Question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gypo Logger

Timber Baron
Reaction score
Hi There, I was wondering if there is a bar length restriction in hotsaw classes. Since I cant see the advantage of using a bar much longer than the maximum length of the wood, wouldnt one get more chain speed with a shorter bar? I plan on entering a stock appearing contest in Feb. and want to use a 16" bar on the
W372, 2171BC, W026, W044 and W357.
I did a timed cut today with the 357 WXPG and blasted thru a 9.5 inch Elm ( two cuts) in just under 10 secs. I know this is just backwoods practice, but it is fun taking a digital movie so I can see how fast I can cut. I set the camera to a ten second movie and the playback shows it all in seconds. The Elm I cut was green and frozen and was 10" inside the bark one way and 9" inside bark at the narrowest spot. The chain was 35RS and tickled with an indestructable Walt Galer square file in round file fashion with rackers reduced to 25 thou. with a Carlton File-o-Plate. The Elm was 4 inches off the ground. I can send the movie to anyone who requests it. Im waiting for the 999 so I can send it to Ken Dunn.
I have odered a chain from North America's finest hotsaw man, one Art Martin, but I have promised him I wont be doing any falling with it, but rather reserve it exclusively for competition cuts only. I think the regulation crosscut cant here is an 8x8 poplar. With the 357 and a hotchain, I would think I could make one cut in 4 sec. from a live start.
John

hotsaws

Hello Gypo Logger
on the smaller saws we use the shortest bars we have that will cut thru the log. Some of the competitors actually use a bar shorter than the log and cut over. Like a 18 inch bar on a 21 inch log. The only time we cant use the shortest bar possible is in some stock classes where they furnish a new loop of chain to everyone. its usually 28 inch.
Good to see that your going to try one of uncle art's chain. you'll like it. did he give you his standard lecture, Just use this chain for contests, not for practice, remove the bark, check out the log for knots. and don't, don't, don,t dig it in the dirt or i'll have to repossess your chain? Just kidding art, Just kidding john.
P.S. On the larger saws like the090's, 3120's and the mac karts we use a bar 4-6 inches longer than the log if we are making a double cut (up- cut) because thay will push back that far on the up cut
Ken

Bar length is usually restricted only by the show for stocksaw...
ie: bring your chain.................stock appearing is usually your pick of bars, since its your saw and as said above, if it is a one cut most pro's go with a shorter bar and do a overcut "reaching over the top and bringing it over and down" and that is mostly on a live start. Dead starts you will see the bars a little longer do to the time it takes to try and set the saw over the top. Also I might add that going thru a 8mm x 8mm log in 4 seconds aint fast enough.

Franks Planks Buddy

Hi There, thank you Robert and Ken for your response. I am happy to hear I can get away with the shorter bar. I know that having the best saw coupled with the fastest chain doesnt necessarily make a winner, because I guess there are many other considerations such as technique, agility, reflex and confidence.
I sent out 2 short 10 sec. movies to a few of the regulars here, some of them came back, some recieved them ok and some couldnt open them. I have been using Windows Media Player.
I have contacted Darren the Administrator, to see if I could include movies here as an attachment. Darren says he will work on it. When I get the AM So. Cal. Hotchain, would it be correct to break it in by running it for a while on the saw at half throttle with a new sprocket with no load?
Because I am a master at understatement lol, I said I could cut an 8X8 poplar in 4sec. but in my heart of hearts I think I could do it in 3 with my 357WXPG and a Carlton AM- A1LM-SK-SG hotchain.
How fast is that? I am not sure, but I think a saw really isnt up to snuff until it has used around 30- 40 tanks of fuel. The W044 Stihl which has used less than one tank of fuel is no match for the 357WXPG which has used at least 35 tanks of fuel. Putting a saw on a dyno, as Walkers did to my 026, breaks it in real nicely. The W026 Pro must be held back it is so fast. Anyway, I'm off to the woods today to my clearcut, but what will they think when they see hundreds of waffer thin pancake cuts lying all over the place?
Gotta get me some Poplar.
John

Back