HotSaw World Records Set

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big Dutchman

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
In Grassvalley, Ca. on Sat. Sept.18, 2004 at a exhibition show at the Draft Horse Classic these record times were set. In the first show, Dennis Cahoon made a hot start, one cut, on a 24" Sugar Pine log, with his 500ccHonda HotSaw.
1.Dennis Cahoon 1.94 Honda 500
2.Dennis Harvey 2.34 Maico 460
3.Rolin Eslinger 2.75 Honda 500

Second Show, Rolin Eslinger comes back and beats Dennis Cahoon's time, with a 1.84 second cut on the same 24" Sugar Pine log, using Dennis Cahoon's other 500cc Honda HotSaw.
1.Rolin Eslinger 1.84 Honda 500
2.Dennis Harvey 2.20 Maico 460
3.Dennis Cahoon N/T Honda 500

Sunday Show, Rainy weather, different wood, slower times.
1.Dennis Harvey 2.72 Maico 460
2.Dennis Cahoon 2.75 Honda 500
3.Rolin Eslinger N/T Honda 500

Come to find out, Dennis's first cut was a World Record cut, and Rolin's is now the current World Record in 24" Sugar Pine.
These saws will be in Oroville, Ca. Sept. 25, 2004 along with the Predator V8 chainsaw. Be there or be square!

Big Dutchman

Hello Big Douche,
Congratulations to Dennis and Rolin.
I was planning on using DC's 500 at Oroville, but instead I think I will use Rolins 500 .
John

The Big Douche can't make it to Oroville, got to work, but I'll have my "toady" there with a video camera, to keep everybody honest!

Gypo,
You and BooBcock can run the Predator, if he shows up. If not you'll have to get Uncle Art or Phil to cover for him.

Steve,
Rolin won't be there, so Dennis said you and Marky can have a
run with either one of the 500's.

Big Douche

Big Douche,
Steve here... That sounds great, I sure hope Barky Bark gets the slower one. lol
I too will have a camcorder along. Should be in town Friday afternoon

Doug, you know you are welcome to run anything I have!
Along with a saw what does it take to set a record, Does it have to be timed by a santioning body? Is there an Organization that over sees Timber Sports records? I know Jamie records them in the Axemens News.
Jon

There's no sanctioning body in our sport. The North American Lumberjack Guide and the Axemens News keep track of the records. There's a record submission form at the North American Lumberjack Guide that's sent to the executive board for the USAA who approve the placing of the record on the list at the guide. That's about it. To that end, the USAA appproves what goes on the guide. The Axemens News follows suit. So in order to get your name on the list, you have to go to the Guide or the usaa website and do a record submission. It happens at least eight to ten times a year. Most people don't submit and I catch the records when I'm doing the results for the Axemen's News.

Hope that helps.

All the best,
Jamie

Thanks Jamie, couple more questions.
One: Does a record have to occure in a competition foremat, or could one set a record in his back yard, with his buddies?
Two: How many timers? Is the time from the point of being severed or when the piece hits the ground?
Thanks in advance Jon

sawrcr,
The only condition I'm aware of is that the record has to come from an event conducted under competitive rules. That was an issue we (the executive board of the USAA - I've since resigned) looked at years ago and came to the conclusion that it was better for the sport if records were set at events instead of back yards. The New Zealand Axemens Association recognizes back yard records as long as the person has three timers and a NZAA representative to measure the log, confirm the times, and sign off on the authenticity of the record. The problem we saw with such a system is that one individual would take a really soft tree and size it to 11", 12", 13", and 14" etc. and set various records in the same day. The records that are in the NAAN and the USAA website were all set at competitions where the judging is less than uniform, but normally there's at least two timers per station.

In regards to when the time stops on the hotsaw, that varys from show to show. Most use when the log severs, however some use when the log hits the deck. That's something else to take into consideration in regards to timing, but something that the records keepers (myself and the USAA) don't address. We're just looking for the fastest time on a particular piece of wood held in an event for which their were witnesses (I think that's how the submission form is set up).

Sorry for the less than clear answer. It's kind of fuzzy anyway you go about it.

All the best,
Jamie

Thanks again Jamie, guess I'am not the only one up early. ???? you must type fast, that was a quick answer.
I watch often the Stihl competition and hope one day you'll kick some aussie butt and land the top spot in chopping. Good Luck Jon

Thanks Jon,
Yep, I type almost as fast as I talk, so go figure. In regards to beating the Aussies and Kiwis, I can get in amongst them and beat all but one or two of them on any given ocassion. For example, at Hayward this year, I was the only american in the final. I ended up second in the underhand to Jason, but bested Bolstad, Ryan, Beckett, Winkel, Lane, et. al. After watching the video of the line, I won the event, but I was not given credit for it. In the Stihl Series, I place third in a couple of the standing blocks and fourth in a couple of underhands. I keep getting closer and I cut well, but it always seems like one or two of the overseas guys get in front of me. Dems the breaks. However, every dog will have his or her day. I'll keep on plugging along as I feel I can continue to improve for at least another five or ten years. My father won his last major world championship when he was 55. He also qualified fourth in the Sthil Series when he was 57. So I've got genetics on my side. It's just up to me to capitalize on it.

All the best,
Jamie

Latest posts

Back