House gets to hot in the fall and spring

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joks79

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
House gets too hot in the fall and spring because the hot water is constantly running thru the heat exchanger. I want something automatic vs manual valves to bypass the heat exchanger in the furnance

Current system:

Thermostat hooked with an aqua stat to tell the furnace to turn the blower on if the water temp is high enough.

Proposed system.

Adding a three way zone valve to bypass the water to air heat exchanger. How would this be wired? My thermostat today is a two wire unit.

I also have a zone control for the addition side of the house that runs my in-floor heat. I would like to hook to that in the future to control priority.

Can anyone explain to me how to wire this? Maybe there is a different way to do this, but that is what I was thinking about doing.

Do you have an OWB?
If so, I would wire it so that the water is only circulated when the house calls for heat. I know many want the water circulating nonstop but I have a different philosophy.

Do you have an OWB?
If so, I would wire it so that the water is only circulated when the house calls for heat. I know many want the water circulating nonstop but I have a different philosophy.

I think you have a good philosophy. Possibly wire the water pump to the thermostat so it would be similar to turning on a gas furnace. Some people around put a heat exchanger above their gas furnace int the duct work so there is no rewiring. Which doesn't work if you don't have forced air.

I had the same problem so we installed a zone bypass valve . When the thermostat calls for heat it lets the water flow through the heat exchanger and as soon as the thermostat reaches the set temp the water bypasses the heat exchanger and sends it right back to the OWB.

Attachments

• C170.pdf
    228.4 KB · Views: 13
Heres a couple more drawings that might help .

Attachments

• C140.pdf
    239.4 KB · Views: 12
  • C160.pdf
    151 KB · Views: 4
Do you have an OWB?
I do have a OWB. I heat my domestic water so I need to have it run all the time. I do like the idea otherwise of turning it off when not needed

Zoning the system will save you just a wee bit of wood. Another easy way is to use a variable speed delta Temp pump like the Taco VDT series. Right now your pump runs full blast 24/7, wasting away heat. Just as if you drove to work at full throttle or idling. With no in between. A variable speed Delta T pump varies its speed with the changing needs of your house. Let's say your underground lines have a 2 degree loss and you want a 20 degree DT thru the HE, you set the VDT pump for 22 degrees, so when nothing needs heat the pump is barely running to maintain the set DT, yet when the furnace calls it pulls a lot more degrees out and the pump automatically speeds up to maintain the set point. Either way, by pump or zoning the VDT will save a lot of wood and electricity.

Good luck

Zoning the system will save you just a wee bit of wood. Another easy way is to use a variable speed delta Temp pump like the Taco VDT series. Right now your pump runs full blast 24/7, wasting away heat. Just as if you drove to work at full throttle or idling. With no in between. A variable speed Delta T pump varies its speed with the changing needs of your house. Let's say your underground lines have a 2 degree loss and you want a 20 degree DT thru the HE, you set the VDT pump for 22 degrees, so when nothing needs heat the pump is barely running to maintain the set DT, yet when the furnace calls it pulls a lot more degrees out and the pump automatically speeds up to maintain the set point. Either way, by pump or zoning the VDT will save a lot of wood and electricity.

Good luck
Great idea. I will look into that.

Back