How close can I build to live oak?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sharky01

Reaction score
I have a piece of property I am going to build a house on. There is a large live oak tree within 10 feet of where the house is going to sit. The tree is approximately 5 feet in diameter and 65 feet tall. Will this kill the tree? What about having a septic drainfield nearby?
Thanks in advance

A tree won't mind a drainfield, as long as you don't cut its roots to build the field, but your drainfield might not like the trees. Roots look for water.

Trees and Development

You see it every day—trees abused by construction, declining slowly, painfully, inevitably. It’s hard to watch, but there is a tool that can save trees from construction impacts, and anyone can use it. After publishing The Evaluation of Hazard Trees in Urban Areas, the International Society of Arboriculture commissioned Nelda Matheny and James Clark to write Trees and Development: A Technical Guide to Preservation of Trees During Land Development.

We’ve all heard the arguments for NOT preserving trees near construction, so in their Introduction the authors provide reasoned responses to make when you hear the following:
“Too Costly!” It’s a trade-off, with costs typically recovered by faster sales, higher prices, and enduring value.
“Over-regulation!” We all have a right to life, and the clean air and water provided by trees are a prerequisite for life. Courts uphold reasonable environmental standards. Where staff is trained to fairly enforce them, needed flexibility can be allowed.
“It’s just a tactic to stop us from building!” If a community holds tree preservation as an important goal and clearly defines its expectations to developers, then tree preservation simply becomes another aspect to project planning. Once a project (and its tree preservation plan) is approved, both development team and public agency staff must act in an honest, cooperative manner.
“We can’t control our subcontractors.” If following a tree preservation program is made a part of a subcontractor’s contract (with penalties for noncompliance), then adherence will follow. For best results, developers should educate subcontractors prior to the start of work.
“It’ll makes our whole community too expensive to develop!” To be practical, projects with mature trees sell quicker at a higher price, and remain more attractive to buyers.
“We don’t know how to preserve trees.” It requires commitment and the application of specialized knowledge, just like engineering and architecture. It is for this reason that a consulting arborist should be a part of the development team.
The next complaint often heard is, “We already pay a landscape designer”. Most landscape architects get no training in tree preservation. At NCSU in particular, how to handle existing trees is not part of the curriculum. LA’s typically have too many other responsibilities to also take on tree preservation.

The rest of the Guide lays out the entire process of preservation in a reader-friendly fashion. It first reviews tree biology and the means and methods of development, then simply, step-by-step, walks the reader through the process of successfully preserving trees. Two tips stand out as especially useful:

“Brush shall be chipped and placed in the tree protection zone to a depth of six inches”
This cheap and easy step can save more trees than any other. Even outside the protection fence, a thick layer of mulch prevents compaction better than any other method. Whether turf or shrubs are going in later, they will be easier to install and need less replacement if the soil is protected. It also retains “an ecologically functional land base capable of growing trees well into the future”.

“Adjust finish grades so that the pavement section is built on top of the natural grade, using a ‘no-dig’ design.” Since roads and sidewalks are safer when water runs off faster, this tip makes sense both for tree survival and safe travel. Use of geotextile fabrics to reduce compaction and prevent the subbase from mixing into the soil also preserves trees.

Tree preservation is a job that everybody wants done, but too often it fails for lack of information. This Guide, available from the ISA, [email protected], is the best tool for getting the job done, and keeping the canopy over our communities. Coming soon are the new ANSI Standards and ISA Best Management Practices on Preservation, which will give you even more support in your fight to protect trees from bulldozer blight!

Next to Oak

Well, I love trees and went to great trouble to save several by locating my house, etc.. After a few years and some ice storms, I'm more attuned to the leans and flaws in several of them and have reluctantly made firewood and lumber from them. The tree you describe is NOT something you want over your bedroom! Make some other plans and save yourself some grief!
Look at some pictures of trees that have cut to the foundations of houses and you'll see what I mean. I have seen an 18 inch limb cut to the second floor of a house, within three feet of an inhabited crib!

Sorry to be the grinch, but you don't want to live under that baby or rebuild your roof periodically.

Wilson

I applaud your interest in saving the tree but you are just not going to be able to build that close to the tree without many problems. In preparing the foundation you will have to cut through so many roots that I do not believe the tree would survive it. If it did survive, there is a great possibility that new roots would eventually cause damage to the slab. Additionally, limbs would be dropping onto your roof year after year. Too much shade will also cause damage to a roof when it retains too much moisture and starts to grow green junk.

"There is a large live oak tree within 10 feet of where the house is going to sit. The tree is approximately 5 feet in diameter and 65 feet tall. Will this kill the tree?"

Maybe not, if you use pier-and-post construction instead of a continuous foundation.

"What about having a septic drainfield nearby?'

If it trenches all around the tree, that's trouble. Here's an alternative: > http://www.landdevelopmenttoday.com/Article683.htm

Thanks

I ran a tape around the tree and came up with 26 feet. The house would be less than 8 feet from the base of the tree and that is just not going to work, The lot is only 100x150 and the house id 66 feet by 60 feet. I was quoted $1800 to cut the tree down to 30 feet then another $1200 to dig it up and haul it off.

As someone earlier stated, you could do it by using a 'pier' or concrete column method of building the footings. The house would actually sit up off the ground on beams supported by the concrete columns. Probably not much difference in cost between this method of building a footing/foundation and the traditional method (when I was in florida 'traditional' meant 'slab'....yuk!). You basically drill 16" - 18" wide holes (spaced every 10' - 12' or so depending on load) down to the necessary depth, stick in cardboard sonic tubes for a 'form' and fill them with with rebar/cement, then stick a beam hanger/saddle in the top.

I notice you are in Florida. The benefit(s) to this design would be...less prone to flooding, particularly the more you raise the structure off of the ground.
And less prone to termite infestation (and other vermin such as cockroaches ....er 'palmetto bugs', etc.), as it is a lot easier to keep them off of concrete columns than it is to keep them from climbing up a traditional foundation's 'termite shield'.

Iam in Bushnell (30 miles south of Ocala, 1hr north of Tampa)
The house will be on a Mono slab built up 17 inches above grade.

Big Tree

Is the lot next door for sale?
If it's not a high rent area, that might let you save the tree!

TreeCo said:
It's a shame trees like yours are mowed under by the money machine.

Your lot was probably the last to sell because of that tree. Now it's down to either taking the tree down or not building on the lot.....how sad.

When your development was layed out some precautions should have been in place so the 300 year old tree didn't end up in this scenario.

Urban sprawl sucks. I suggest saving the tree even if it take a novel house design.

Dan
Dan,
can you give him an idea on the value of the tree??? obviously, he's naive to that, so the thought of a novel house design won't register if someone isn't aware of how the tree increases value of the property...

just a suggestion from an equally ignorant homeowner :)

Landmark trees are just short-term marketing tools for most builders.

Let the Buyer Beware, and ask a lot of questions.

Sharky if you are wedded to the mono slab concept then you will lilely be divorced from the tree.

Bushnell used to be a nice area. What's the name of that Tampa arborist who used to post here a lot?

TreeCo said:
It's a shame trees like yours are mowed under by the money machine.

Your lot was probably the last to sell because of that tree. Now it's down to either taking the tree down or not building on the lot.....how sad.

When your development was layed out some precautions should have been in place so the 300 year old tree didn't end up in this scenario.

Urban sprawl sucks. I suggest saving the tree even if it take a novel house design.

Dan

Florida is not exactly the cutting edge of home design....particularly the Tampa area...heck its all not much different in the rest of the state.

Slab, slab, slab....slab slab slab slab slab. They have slab, and they have more slab....and you can have your choice of any slab you like. And did I mention slabs?

Ditto on house designs...they're all just variations of the Spanish/Mediterranean theme. Stucco with tile roof....on a slab. Tract after tract after tract of them. The lack of any original style or variation makes the whole state quite depressing after a few years. I imagine if you built an A-frame in Florida the whole state would crap nickels.

Back